Episode 2 - The New Heir

Hello everyone! I hope you had a wonderful New Years celebration! Goodbye 2020 and hello 2021!

I had meaning to update sooner but I had wanted to relax on the new year weekend and this chapter was edited, I still don't think it's perfect but I think it's better than it was before. I had also started on a different shift at work and I had also gained more responsibilities at work. 

Anyways, enough about me and I am happy to release a new chapter of Downton Abbey. Feel free to comment, vote. To all readers, thank you for your time reading my story! It makes my day!

Episode 2

The New Heir

A couple weeks later went on by. Emma was aware that the gossip at Downton had changed from the Duke to the mysterious new heir. Nobody knew anything about him except that he lived with his mother who was a doctor and his father passed away a while ago. The new heir was an only child and he and his mother lived in Manchester. Emma learned from her father's travels to London that the new heir's name was Matthew Crawley.

Mary had been particularly snappy and callous, of course, Emma didn't blame her. She had lost the prospect of marriage to a respectable Duke, and now Emma learned that Robert was willing to go along with the entail, which meant only Cora and Violet are still fighting onwards to have Mary inherit her birthright. Emma had observed that Mary also had felt let down that she wasn't given a proposal, only the usual cold shoulder of refusal. About a two days later the Duke left, Mary had gone off on her own swallowing the bitter humiliation and Emma and Edith were playing cards in the drawing room.

'Who would want to court to a cold and distant young woman,' said Edith.

'Oh Edith, you make it sound like it was Mary's fault,' said Emma, placing down a card of three of diamonds.

'Well, what could possibly have rubbed him off the wrong way...Mary isn't exactly the fairy tale princess in the novels you read.'

'I don't know...maybe he was considering options for a bride?' Emma shrugged and Edith rolled her eyes.

'Maybe he thought she as ugly?' Edith sniggered.

Emma glared sharply at Edith.

'Oh honestly, can't you be a little sympathetic... one day it could happen to you and you better hope you have sympathetic sisters supporting you.'

Emma dropped her cards and left the room.

Emma had taken to visiting her old boutique; there was talk of a new dressmaker shop to be settled there for the modern wear. Emma had been spending her time in the village and taken up art lessons, especially figuring sketches and honing watercolour painting, which Violet had discovered and approved.