Episode 6 - Politics

Hello loyal readers. Here I am and I glad to post this chapter. I had trouble with my computer  shortly after publishing the previous chapter and I am glad to say that it had been fixed and I can continue editing the next chapter. 

May 1914

May 1914. Emma felt like she didn't know who was controlling time because she felt like it was going rather slow, although many things had progressed, either good or bad, in the house.

Sybil was involved deeply in politics and she had been going to the by-election and Emma was cautious about talking politics with Sybil because she had seen a change in Sybil. She had been ambitious and if Emma talked out of line, she copped a scolding by Sybil. Although Emma expressed a slight interest in Women's rights, she didn't believe pounding on the door and demanding people to change their beliefs and ideas, she didn't think it was the way to get people to change their minds. Sybil had been trying to get Emma involved, but Emma firmly stood her ground against it. Emma admired Sybil had a passion and she encouraged Sybil, but not by going to the rally to listen to men oppose rights and berate women like they were dogs, it would only fuel in more frustration.

Although the maid, Gwen, still hadn't find her dream job and Emma took it upon herself to help look for advertisements and had given a few to Gwen to choose which ones she liked to get into contact with. Sybil was relieved that someone else was helping Gwen.

Emma had seen the civility of Mary and Matthew and she thought they would make a very fine couple, although Emma thought that Mary had a stone heart, she knew deep down she wanted to be happy more than anything.

Emma and James had still kept their romantic relationship toned down around Downton for ten months, although she had enjoyed their dates and Emma had confined in Sybil about her romantic involvement with James.

'I knew it!' Sybil said before they went downstairs for breakfast in January 1914.

'Hush, Sybbie.' Emma whispered, glancing around anxiously, 'I don't want anyone else to know.'

'But how long are you going to keep this a secret?' Sybil asked when they finally arrived at the breakfast room.

'I don't know. Not for long now...we just wanted to get to know to each more before telling anyone else.'

'I understand...if Papa or Mary found out, I don't know what they would do.'

Sybil promised to keep Emma's secret and January drawn slowly and finally it was May. Emma was looking forward to summer and she could finally be a part of Golden Stitching as a part time model. Emma was nervous to finally get a real job, she knew she was inexperienced and wanted to get a little taste of what the working-class life was about.

The atmosphere at the Dining Table had dropped into anxiety as Robert looked like he was trying to keep his temper in check. Sybil had tried to tone down her interest in politics around Robert, but Robert wasn't blind when he was told that Sybil had gone down to Ripon to hear the Liberal Speakers.