Chapter 53 | Evolution

I am not exaggerating when I say that this Chapter contains a piece of plot that I've had in my mind since about six years ago now. Gosh it was a relief to finally write it down. 

I hope you all enjoy,
Daisy

__________________________

Chapter 53 | Evolution

*

'Soulmates aren't just
l o v e r s .'

- Anon

*

CIRCE

Circe thought it would take them five days, but they made it in four.

It was laughable, how excellent the conditions were, and Cobalt teased her repeatedly that if such smooth sailing became the norm, then where was the fun in being a Pirate?

If it had been any other time, she might have agreed with him, but currently, she was too anxious to care. There was a restlessness in her heart, like an itch that she couldn't scratch, and she was finding it impossible to relax completely – although she had fallen back into a routine of sorts, the ease with which she found herself repeating familiar motions a direct contrast to her internal disquiet.

The early mornings she spent sitting on the railing at the bow, gazing out at the open ocean as the ship cut a path through the glass-like water, and in those moments, she felt as though it was her heart that was pulling them forwards. She enjoyed the time when the ship was quiet the most – when the sun had not quite yet breached the horizon and only one person stood at the helm, another on watch in the crow's nest. Usually it was Cobalt, Samson, or Hobbs that manned the wheel – and they let her sit in peace, drinking in the day.

The late nights she spent at the piano, her soft tinkering echoing out through the open door that led to her private balcony at the back of the ship. She always left the door open, imagining that at any moment, Anthemin might call her and she would walk out to see the young dragon there, swimming through the water as he kept pace with the ship easily.

The moments in-between were not so lonely, and she made good on her word to spend more time with the people important to her. She accompanied Lacy to breakfast, watched her play cards (and continue to lose) against Cobalt, practised her hand-to-hand combat with her, and listened as the other girl confessed her feelings for Leonardo, feelings that Lacy felt he did not reciprocate, but that Circe assured her he did – he just needed more time.

She spent time on her brother's ship, exploring the vessel and his rooms, absorbing all of the details that he had added to make it his own, refamiliarizing herself with the person who arguably, knew her better than anyone – even Obsidian.
She accompanied Nathaniel and Leonardo as the latter instructed Nate on this and that throughout the day, and she observed her brother's growth with her own eyes. She listened to his dreams and aspirations, some of which had only been realised rather recently, and shared his longing to return to the Duchy that was their home – even if there was hardly anything to return to.
Circe told Nate too, as a secret to keep between the two of them, of Ambrose's origin and his intention to guide him in his ventures. Understandably, Nathaniel had been surprised, but he had also accepted the information fairly quickly. Circe supposed that was probably due to the fact that he was less interwoven in the Kingdoms affairs than she was. It was a gift, in its own way, to be oblivious.