Chapter 35 | The Pirate King

Just a quick note to say the Authors Note is at the end of the Chapter!
I hope you guys enjoy,
Love Daisy x

_______________________

Chapter 35 | The Pirate King

*

'Can you remember who you were,
before the world told you who you should be?'

- k.w.

*

NATHANIEL

He woke slowly, his eyes heavy with unnatural sleep. Slowly blinking, the person in the chair opposite wavered into his view, their form shifting like the dancing flames in the fireplace. He rubbed his eyes and looked again. This time he could see clearly. His brother had been looking down before; engrossed in a book it seemed, but now he looked up to meet Nathaniel's gaze, his eyes blank and unassuming.

"You're awake."

Nate swallowed and rubbed a hand over his face. He realised his other hand was still loosely clasped around an almost empty cup of tea, the ceramic cold against his skin. He laid it down on the side table where it found its nook in the saucer with a gentle clink.

"Did you drug me?"

Tobias's face expression was unapologetic. "Aranel didn't want you over-hearing anything. Sorry."

Nathaniel thought he didn't seem very sorry at all. He sighed. "I don't understand why you do what she tells you to." The statement slipped out from his lips before he had a chance to hold it back and he tensed, ready for that childish anger that seemed to appear whenever Tobias was questioned about his choices.

However, Tobias merely laid his book down over one knee, thumb still inserted between the pages and crossed his legs. The foot that hung off the ground swivelled in a leisurely circle. The elbow of his unoccupied arm lifted to rest on the arm of the chair, his hand folding to accommodate his cheek as he rested, his head leaning to the side. Nathaniel felt that he was being assessed.

"Aranel and I have an agreement ... of sorts," came the surprisingly lazy reply, "that and it's a way to pass the time."

"A way to pass the time?" Nathaniel whispered incredulously, "What part of this is a way to pass the time?"

Tobias's eyes narrowed, "I'm not sure I understand what you mean."

Nathaniel met his brother's eyes. This person sitting across from him was such a mystery. This person with his scars that ran more than just skin deep. This person that seemed obsessed with the idea of his family, yet also had no interest at all. This person with his hidden intentions, secret past, and unpredictable emotions. What was he to do with him?

"Leave here with me." Nathaniel said suddenly. His gaze, that had become vacant as he was filled with thought, suddenly snapped back to Tobias's with burning intent. "We don't have to stay here anymore. You got what you wanted, you found me. Now we can leave."

He could see that loss of interest in his brother's eyes already, the subtle closing off of his face. Determined not to lose this time, he reached across the space that divided them and snagged one of Tobias's hands.

The physical contact seemed to startle him and Tobias jolted in his seat, making to pull his hand away.

"What are you doing, let go-"