Chapter 10

Things fell together easily in the next few days, Emma and I spent almost all my free non-hunting time at her house watching some movie or another. I have yet to meet her parents and she already met my aunt. Living in a small town meant one thing for sure, everyone knew about Emma and I before we could even say anything to our own families. Renee and I haven't spoken, she also hasn't made me anything to eat. It was almost like Renee wanted to act as though I didn't exist, like maybe if she pretended well enough maybe I would suddenly stop existing and then she wouldn't have to live with my shame. I think for her, my liking girls was one thing she could maybe one day handle, but the fact that I'm with a vampire made it something that may as well be the ninth planet, Pluto. I didn't mind though, no fighting and I could come and go as I pleased. Wednesday rolled around in no time and sure enough we had another no homework night. I had stayed the night at Nick's and was going to again after tonight's hunt. 

"Who we working with tonight?" I asked driving my truck to our normal clearing. I guess that alone should have told me something was wrong, Nick never let me drive to hunts. 

"Paul, Liz, Marie, Emma, and Raven. The normal gang," Nick said ticking off our friends with his fingers. 

"Wait, Maria isn't coming tonight?" I asked giving him a side glance. He shook his head. Once as I pulled into our normal parking spot in the clearing. I looked at him, really looked. Something was off, his blue eyes were missing their normal small spark. "What happened Nick, talk."

"We kept it out of town news, thank the gods," Nick smiled with relief, "I broke up with her yesterday, list of personal reasons so don't ask. I hurt her pretty bad though, so she's no longer part of the normal gang anymore."

I nodded once, I didn't understand but yet at the same time I did. Nick was smart, he probably gave Maria a fair chance, but once he couldn't force a smile when he and her made eye contact, that's when he would know that it wasn't good for both of them. I gave him my best friend I'm sorry and I understand smile. His blue eyes, got a little spark in them as he smiled back. 

"Ready to go?" He asked grabbing his duffle from the floor of the cab. 

"Nah, I think I'll just sit here thinking of ways to tan by moonlight."

Nick rolled his eyes and hopped out of my truck, Emma sliding in after him. They shared a small smile of hello before she shut the door. 

"Don't let them hurt that face of yours tonight, can't be seen dating an ugly hunter," Emma joked.

I leaned over and kissed her forehead, "Damn, I was hoping for a really cool ugly scar, right on my cheek bone."

"Of corse you would hope for one right there," She laughed.

"It would look really bad ass, you have to admit it," I smirked.

"yeah it really would, now come on you idiot," She opened the door and pulled me out by my hand.

"I need my toys," I wined as I let her pull me from my baby.

Marie laughed and rolled her eyes at me, " No sex on the job, control yourselves."

To which the rest of our party started laughing and chiming in with their own sex jokes. I rolled my eyes and smirked, "You only wish it was you, Marie." I winked, kissed my beautiful vampire and turned to get my weapons. The sun went down fully not long after and the fun started. We were only a week away from Halloween now and as excited as I am about the holiday, the extra strong demons were not a plus. I did try to deflect most of the damage from my face, my arms and legs on the other hand wouldn't be so pretty after tonight. At sunrise Nick and I collapsed onto the bloody grass, on our backs. The blood was both demon and human, the black oil looking blood mixing with the scarlet and now it was in my hair, fantastic. Emma's hand came into my field of vision, offering to pull me up. Grabbing it with my blood covered right hand she pulled me up, and swatted the back of my head.

"What happened to not getting hurt," She sighed, green eyes running over my arms.

"I failed," I shrugged with a small smile. Emma rolled her eyes as Nick get up and looked at us, "normally I would let this continue but Jen and I have to get home for the after hunt pancakes before Mom feeds them to the dog."

"That's right, pancakes," I smiled suddenly getting a second wind, almost to the point of wanting to fight more demons. I kissed Emma quickly and waved to the group as I tossed mine and Nick's gear into the bed. I pulled out the towel from the back of the cab and covered the front bench with it. Nick laughed at me and slid into the passenger side as I started my Chevy. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry I know this chapter is short and took forever to post. I've been living the life of writers block mixed with binge watching anime shows, so I'm really sorry. But here it is and I hope you like this short hunt.

~kat