Chapter 13 Human Peer Bonding

At the Blue Base, Church was clearing up misconceptions.

Tucker: Let me get this straight. You're telling me the guy that showed up here, scared the shit out of us, shot at Caboose, and beat the hell out of the Reds wasn't a guy at all?! That he was a chick? And on top of that, she was your ex-girlfriend?

Church: In a nutshell, yes. That's an excellent summary.

Caboose: I should've known, she didn't like me. Girls NEVER like me.

Tucker: Caboose I don't think anyone likes you.

Caboose: I like me. . . .

Tucker: I don't think I've seen a girl that mean before. Even the Red's girl was pretty nice for the five times we exchanged words. Hell, she tried to save you. Are you sure she's a chick? And not a guy? Or like. . . part guy, part shark?

Church: I'm pretty sure I'd know if Tex was a guy. And I'd definitely know if she was part shark.

Caboose: Wait, Wait, Wait. If she's a girl why is she named Tex?

Church: Uh, because she's from Texas.

Caboose stared blankly at him.

Church: Trust me, it makes sense. And you can't blame her for being so aggressive. It's not entirely her fault to begin with.

Tucker: Right, you should blame god. First he makes hangovers, and now, half women-half sharks that won't even sleep with me. Thanks for nothing, God!

Church: Will you shut up with that? She got recruited into some kind of weird experimental program back during basics where they infused her armor with a very aggressive A.I. I'm not really sure how it all works, but all I know is that it made her meaner and tougher than hell.

Caboose: A.I. . . . What's the A stand for?

Church: Artificial.

Caboose: What's the I-

Church: Intelligence.

Caboose: Ohhhh. . . . What's the A again?

Church: Let's move on.

Tucker: So, the military put this program in her head and that program made her a killer, but underneath it all she's really just a sweet, down-home girl?

Church: Oh hell no! She's always been a rotten bitch, but now she's a rotten bitch with cybernetic enhancements!

Tucker: Wow, sounds like you won the lottery with that one. Good catch there buddy. She's a keeper.

Church: So how are you doing Caboose? Are you following any of this whatsoever?

Caboose: I think so. That guy Tex. . . is really a robot and you're that guy's boyfriend. So that makes you. . . a gay robot.

Church: Yeah. That's right. I'm a gay robot.

*At the Red Base*

Simmons and Grif stood in front of Tex.

Grif: So, you're a girl Huh?

Simmons: Just ignore him, that's what I do.

Grif: Not so tough that we unloaded your weapon, are ya?

Tex: Hey punk, I don't need a weapon to kill you.

Grif: Yeah right, what're you gonna do, punch me?

The freelancer suddenly moved forward!

Grif: Ahhh! Not in the face!

Tex smirked as someone cleared their throat. The three turned to see Ruby leaning against the wall.

Ruby: You go do something, I want to talk to her.

Simmons: You sure? You're still hurt.

Ruby: I'll be fine.

Grif: If you say so.

The boys left, leaving the magenta armored girl with the black armored girl.

Ruby: So. . . Why do you seem familiar?

Tex: Huh?

The freelancer squinted.

Ruby: Answer me.

The ravennette tapped her good foot on the ground.

Tex: W-Wait! S-Say that again!

Ruby: Answer me?

The girl titled her head as Tex's eyes bulged. . . .

Tex: H-Hawaii. . . .

Ruby: Hawaii? Sorry, but my name's Ruby. . . .

Realization then donned on the amnesiac.

Ruby: D-Don't tell me! I-I know you don't I?!

Tex: Hawaii, it's me, Texas!

Ruby: I-I'm sorry if I kn-knew you. . . .

Tex: Knew?

Ruby: When I crashed here, I got amnesia. I could barely remember anything. . . . My name, and not much else.

Tex slowly removed her helmet. . . . She had blonde hair, tied up into a ponytail. Her green eyes glistened. . . . Ruby then removed her own helmet. Her dark red eyes met Tex's green.

Ruby: You are familiar. . . . S-Sorry, for not remembering. . . .

Tex: N-No it's alright. Do you remember Carolina?

Ruby: Nope, not even vaguely.

Tex: York, Wash, North, South?

Ruby: Drawing a blank. . . .

Tex took a deep breath. . . .

Tex: . . .Jason?

Ruby's eyes immediately widened as a pulse of overwhelming pain hit her!

Ruby: Agh!

Tex: Hawaii!

Ruby: St-Stop! Stop! Stop!

Tears began to stream down her face! She held her head as she began to quiver!

Ruby: St-Stop, it-it hurts! Pl-Please stop!

She was in pain. . . and she didn't know why. . . . Ruby heard the breaking of metal before a pair of arms pulled her into a warm embrace. . . . Her breath hitched as the hug tightened. . . .

Tex: It's okay Ruby. . . It's okay. . . .

Ruby breathing slowly calmed. . . .

Tex: Uh, I'm Allison. . . . Do you. . . want to be friends. . .?

Agent Texas uttered the same words Agent Hawaii said to her all those years ago. . . . Ruby kept on crying into Allison's shoulder. . . .

Ruby: Th-Thank you. . . .

Allison lost Hawaii twice. . . . She was not going to lose her best friend for a third time. . . .

*With the Blues*

Church: Well, don't worry because I have a great plan for how we're gonna rescue Tex.

Tucker: A plan? Oh man, I hate plans! That means we're gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy, or a mission statement?

Church: I just need you guys to run a distraction while I spring Tex.

Caboose: Distraction? Heh. . . That sounds a lot like "decoy."

Church: The way I see it, the reds have absolutely no idea how many freelancers we have out here. So all I need from the two of you is to run around in the middle of the canyon wearing black armor while I sneak in the back of the base.

Tucker: Sounds good. But Church, where the hell are we gonna get two suits of black armor?

Church and Tucker both looked at the teleporter.

Tucker: Oh, fuckberries.