Chapter 1:The Great Beginning

I woke up to a weird noise coming from the car, then we started to slow down. 'Great way to start off my first day to college' I thought as my dad pulled over. He looked at me and rolled his eyes. He knew I was right when I told him to get a new car. Of course he refuses every time I mention it, he tells me the same thing. "Honestly there's no reason to buy a new car...It still moves, which means it still works. Until I get stranded in the middle of nowhere and get murdered. You guys could buy a new car and drive it to my funeral".  Which was probably going to happen to us if Nova didn't see us pull over. 

I turned to face the back seat. Kian was in the back with cameron. He seemed rattled. He looked at me and smiled nervously. 

"You okay?" I tried asking but it came out like a statement. "Yea" He said, looking out the window. 

Kian was too sweet and polite to speak up and say he was uncomfortable or if something was bothering him. That's probably why we're together. Everyone from my high school was either rude, snobby, or troublemakers. He was the total opposite. Which is why I find him interesting. 

I was still facing the back, but now I was observing Cameron. He was fidgeting with his brown curls. He's always done that since they were kids. If he got bored, frustrated, or nervous he always played with his hair. He can never stay still. He has to be moving at all times. My dad use to think he had ADHD. When my dad mentioned it to his mom, she got offended. She got over it though, they've known each other for years. My mom and Cameron's moms were best friends growing up. 

"I told you I had a baddd feeling" I said looking at Cameron. "Oh Calliope,  you always have a bad feeling" He teased. 

He likes to call me Calliope when he teases me or when we  fight. People only call me Calliope when we're talking about something serious or when we're arguing. Other than that I go by Callie. 

Kian chuckled. "She just doesn't like change, she likes her schedules" Kian said seriously but also tagging along with Cameron's teasing. 

"I-" the car door slammed shut, cutting me off. Good thing I got cut off because I didn't have a comeback for them. It was true. I don't like change, I like schedules. 

It was raining a little harder when my dad got back in the car. "Eww, you smell like a wet dog" I joked. "Your upper lip" He teased while scrunching his nose. 

The guys laughed. They always laughed at my dad's jokes. That's how my dad copes, since my mom died. Jokes on top of jokes, I love it. Nova on the other hand hates his jokes. She finds them annoying because it reminds her of my mom. I don't know how it reminds her of my mom, she died when Nova was one. She feels connected to her somehow. It honestly doesn't make sense to me. Shouldn't I feel connected to her?

She did die giving birth to me. 

"Honestly, I think I do smell. Jesus, you would think it never rained in sunny L.A" my dad said sarcastically. 

Nova and I have lived here our whole lives. Our parents grew up in Chicago. 

We had barley left the house, we still needed a two hour drive to Crafton Hills College. 

"I already called Nova, she said they were a few cars behind us. She told me everyones driving slow. The rain is going to set us back an hour" my dad said looking out the window. 

'They? Who was Nova with?...' I nervously thought to myself. I started to tug on my fingers. 

Nova's a year older than me. I don't like meeting new people, making new friends is hard for me. At least I won't  be alone, I'll have Nova and Cam. 

"Wait, did you say 'they'?" I asked my dad who wasn't paying attention. He was looking outside his window. He was trying to spot out Nova's car. 

"Uhh, mhmm." he said distractedly. 

Honkkk, Honk* 

Nova parked so that our hoods were facing each other. I saw Nova in the driver's seat and Aria in the passenger seat. 

Aria is Nova's best friend. They've been best friends since they were roommates last year. They have a strong bond, so they decided to be roommates again. Which left me with a complete stranger. I haven't even met my roommate yet. I just know her name is Leah. Maybe we'll be best friends like them. Maybe. 

It looked like someone else was in the back seat. I couldn't tell because my dad turned the windshield wipers off. 

"Do you need any help, Mr. Fuller?" Kian said getting ready to get out the car.

"Umm ye-" my dad started.

Someone hopped out of the back seat. A very tall man. He stood in the front of our car, tapping our hood.

"No, thanks though" My dad said while getting out the car.

"Who is that?" Cameron said, moving closer to me to try and get a better look.

"I don't kn-" I started. 

The hood appeared in front of us and we couldn't see anything. We hear muffled voices.

"It's probably one of Aria's boyfriends, she has one for like every month" I said grabbing my phone. 

Of course Aria was able to have a boyfriend for every month. She looked like a model. She has long black hair that stopped at her waist. She was skinny and tall. Her eyes were a light brown.

I looked at my phone and there was a text from Cameron. I turned towards the back seat. 

"Cam why did yo-"

He gave me a deep stare and pointed to his phone with his eyes.

              Cam: Why is Kian even here? 

              Me: He's being a supportive boyfriend, quit it. 

              Cam: You don't even seem interested in him anymore

              Me: I am. Shut up, virgin. 

              Cam: You're one to talk.

I turned at him and rolled my eyes. The hood of the car slammed shut. The mystery man was a few feet by our car, he shook hands with my dad. The mystery man then disappeared into the back of Nova's car.