Elliot

~ After appointment. ~

I opened the door to see Olivia sitting down on the couch on her phone. When she saw me her face lit up. I blushed. 'Do I really have that effect on her?'

"Hey, how was it?" She places her hand on my shoulder and smiled.

"Uh.. It went well. Thanks for bringing me." I smiled and waved goodbye to Lindstrom.

The walk down the stairs and to the street was silent. Olivia called a cab, and we made casual conversation about the weather. I couldn't help but look for a few seconds too long at her.

Once the cab arrived, we went in and exchanged awkward smiles and arrived at my apartment shortly after.

"Come in?" I offered.

"No, I really shouldn't I mean it's la-"

"No, come on. You're fine I'll heat up your tea."

I cursed myself for sounding so eager. She stepped in and smiled shyly, trying to hide it.

She returned back to her seat and I grabbed her cup and put it in the microwave. I turned the knob to 1:30 and felt Olivia's eyes on me again. Subconsciously, I checked the time. '8:34'. Shit.

A wave of depression hit me. Why am I keeping her here? She clearly doesn't want to be here. Im wasting her time. Again.

"Oh..It's really late, I'm sorry do you want some food? We can order Chinese? Im sure you need to go home to Noah, you can take it home.."

"Noah's got a babysitter, I'm ok to stay. I love Chinese! You do too?"

"Yeah it's my favorite food. Orange chicken, veggies, and rice good?"

"That's great." She smiled.

I turned on the radio. Lana Del Rey's 'Young and Beautiful' was on. Once the food arrived Olivia looked at the boxes and said,

"Oh my god, it smells like heaven!" She laughed and help me set out plates and napkins. I smiled. It was nice seeing her smile for once since Lewis. She caught me.

"What're you smiling about? And don't say it's the food, I know it's something else. "

"Oh um..haha, it's nothing really it's just nice to see you smile. We never really talk at work.."

"We talk.. Well I mean, not like this, but we do."

"We talk about work haha. Not really anything else.."

"..Do you want to change that?"

"..Yeah. I, ahem. I dont know i just want to get to know you better..."

I scanned her face for a reaction. Her eyes flickered away for a moment, before looking back up at me. I furrowed my brow.

"What's wrong?" I said quietly.

"Nothing. I uh, just feel bad. For the way I treated you these past few years. I know I gave you and Nick the cold shoulder. I guess I was just bitter about my ex partner leaving.."

Her face looked pained. Whoever her ex partner was must've been an asshole. Just thinking about it made me angrier at him at the second.

"..If you don't mind me asking, who was he?" I tried to hide the obvious distaste for him.

"He was my partner for 12 years." She looked to her cup, and played with her food. "He just. Left. No goodbye. Nothing. I was in an emotional place. I loved him. He had his issues, but I loved him, and He hasn't answered any of his calls and texts.."

I regretted bringing it up.

"Liv.. Im sorry. I shouldn't have pushed.."