Two

Nine, Ten, Eleven, I plunged forever deeper through the water. The temperature was unforgivably cold as my body began to stiffen in reaction. 

"Welcome back students. Please take a seat." Mrs Walsh stood cheerily at the front of the class. Her hourglass figure shadowed on the whiteboard of psychology facts behind her. I glanced around the room creating my plan of action in my head. If I sit near the front I'm closer to the door so I can make quick exits but If I sit at the back I can fade into the cream walls and go unnoticed for another year. I chose the back row, right in the corner, so I'd only end up with one person sat next to me. I'm not very good at social interaction, I've always been the weird kid. I've found that my life's much easier when I'm invisible to everyone around me. 

"I'd like to congradulate all of you for passing your recent exam and returning to join our class for another year. I'm very proud of each and everyone of you." Her words were as false as her eyelashes. Mrs Walsh didn't bother to even learn your name unless you were an attractive male student. The rest of the class were equally as tired of her pep talk as 70% of them were sneakily tapping away on their blackberry's. Mrs Walsh took a seat behind her desk and opened up the register on her computer. 

"Marina?" "Here." She was pretty; Long blond hair down to her tiny waste, Large blue eyes, surrounded by friend's. You could tell she had a lot of money by the clothes she wore and the way she walked. She had that kind of walk that announced, I'm rich, Don't touch me.

"Jacob?" "Yeah, Miss" He was tall, dark and handsome in the obvious way that made all the other girls swoon but his ripped chest had no affect on me, not that he had any kind of desire towards me either. To be honest I don't think anyone has ever felt more than pity towards me.The only compliments I've ever received are the "fantastic work" comment's I receive on the top of my English papers from time to time. 

I noticed most of the class were similar to Marina and Jacob, Obsessed with their looks and possessions and they excelled in both areas. I live in quite an upper-class area so most of the residents were snobby and rich and ,this being the only college for miles, every student came to this campus to better their education and get a decent career. Then they'd use their money to buy more possessions and further improve their appearance with cosmetics. They were never going to change. There was the occasional nerd in the class however, they were easy to spot. They'd sit right at the front with about 6 notepads and pencil cases stuffed full of crap they didn't really need. I realise I don't fit in either categories, I'm somewhere in the middle. I'm not popular and beautiful but I'm not nerdy or organised either. I'm neutral and plain and dreadfully boring.

"Lily? LILY? LILY CALDERBACK?" My thought track was broken by the obnoxious squawk of my name. "Y-yea-yes miss, Sorry. I was, um, just..." I felt the class turn to look at me as my cheeks burned red with social anxiety. "So we have a daydreamer in the class. Now isn't the time to think about hot boys,Lily. Lessons are for learning." She laughed proudly at her own remark before carrying on with the register. The rich clones began to buzz with bitchy chatter as several more names were called and finally  "Eric?.. ERIC?" Could it be? Another person was lost in thought unable to answer their name. I glanced around the room trying to spot my fellow dreamer, the rest of the class did the same to try to find their next giggle. "Eric Winterly?" "Uh-huh" A lanky young man appeared through the door frame, his messy curls bounced as he walked towards the only seat  remaining, the seat next to me. He wore dark grey fitted jeans, a band top that I couldn't make out clearly and a checked blue shirt unfastened. "You're late." Mrs Walsh hissed at him, It was clear she didn't find him as attractive as I did. "Yeah, I missed my bus." He shrugged his bag to the floor, his voice was like velvet, it had a deep sensual pitch to it that made my stomach begin to flutter. "Not good enough." Mrs Walsh's strained voice contrasted with Eric's soothing tone. "Shit happens." He stated. The clones gasped in shock as the taboo word drifted through the classroom. Mrs Walsh felt her position begin to be attacked so she did what any other teacher would do in this threatening state. She sent him out. He didn't react badly like most students would have. There was no over-exaggerated sigh or further remark, he just stood up calmly and left the classroom. However, One thing struck me as being completely absurd, Just as he was leaving his deep brown eyes caught mine momentarily and he did something I had never experienced before. He winked at me.