One

And with one final deep breathe of polluted air, I broke through the top layer of water and into a deep serenity. 

Beep. Beep. Beep. 

I rolled over onto my side and reached out for the alarm clock. It felt miles away from my warm bed, I struggled for a few more blind seconds before giving in and forcing my sleep filled eye open. The sun shone brightly through the gap in my cream curtains causing my eye to experience an involuntary blinking spasm. Obnoxiously the alarm clock stared me down, Flashing the dreaded 6.30. I lunged pathetically towards the off button managing to clumsily knock it off the side table in the process and send it flying towards my cat ,who watched me through judging eyes as she dodged the electronic demon. I groaned loudly and it was almost like I'd rung a bell as my mother immediately swung my bedroom door open. 

"C'mon Lily, Don't be lazy. We've all got places to be this morning. You can't just waste your life away groaning at the ceiling fan." Her perky smile and fully made-up complexion made my stomach flip in envy and mind ache with frustration. 

"Mum, It's Monday. How are you so, y'know, awake?" I yawned as I dragged my overweight legs from the bed to the floor. I stumbled towards my wardrobe hoping my hoodie would be awaiting me. It wasn't. My mum remained stood in the small wooden door way as I heavy handedly searched my wardrobe for something comfortable or clean. "What?" I swung back around to face her, I wasn't purposely being an arsehole towards her but it was 6.30 on a monday and more importantly my first day back at college, Manners were the least of my worries this morning.

"Grumpy, Just like your dad." Her tone was playful but her eyes were empty and the message was clear. My mum and dad have been weird around each other ever since Jacks accident. They have dealt with it in different ways, My mum puts on a brave face and my dad hardly shows his. Jack doesn't like it. He thinks mum's being false, which she is, and he thinks dad's being overdramatic, which is a matter of opinion. Jack's better now though so I don't understand why they're still being like this, The doctors said he'll walk again in a couple of months. He got let off easy. He should have died, Everyone knows he should but he didn't, The woman in the other car took his place.