Four

Twenty one, Twenty two, Twenty three, My eyes began to slowly open. The way the water stung reminded me of  being awoken on a new day; A bitter sweet sensation.

I walked through the front door of our mediocre terraced house, A smile still haunted my face from my early meeting. I slid my trainers off to reveal an odd pair of socks, one sock was decorated in cats and the other dogs, at least they were following a similar theme. I then followed through into the lounge where my Brother had sprawled himself over the settee with his crutches laying beside him. My Father was sat in his reclining chair clinging to a newspaper and I could hear my Mum rattling around in the kitchen. I strolled through into the kitchen beaming from ear to ear. I needed to tell someone my exciting news, My brother grunted as I walked past the television. He was watching a top gear rerun  that he'd probably seen at least twice before. 

"Mum!" I squelled. She jumped startled at the sound. "Lily, I wish you wouldn't do that when I'm cooking." She only glanced at me momentarily but her face seemed slightly distressed and her eyes were damp. She was shaking. "Mum? What's the matter?" I moved closer to her, I spoke softly as I rested a hand on her shoulder. Grasping my hand she turned back to face me. The fake smile I was oh too familiar with had crept it's way back onto her pale face. "I'm fine sweetheart. How was college?" "Well, there this b-" Jack appeared at the door, his eyebrows were low and his lips tight. " I thought you were making me something to eat." He enquired manipulatively.

My mum jumped again as she quickly turned to face him. "I am, I was just-"

"You were just gossiping with Lily? Yeah and here's me thinking that I was the one who was disabled, Oh, wait." He gestured to his bandaged leg and stared at her with piercing eyes, I could almost feel her fill with guilt. Jack knew how to play the game and he was going to play it. I couldn't bare to watch her squirm any longer, Even though I thought she was overly happy sometimes, She was a good person, the kindest person I've ever met and she didn't deserve this.

"Leave her alone, Jack." He turned to me, his angry eyes flashed shocked before returning to their menacing state. "I'm not doing anything? Am I mummy?" He smiled at her, a boyish smile that reminded me of when we were younger. Whenever he'd do something wrong he'd use this sweet smile and it would make the adults melt into his hands. "No." She smiled back at him but caught a glimpse of my disgust. "It's okay, Lily. Your brother just needs some extra help. If the same thing happened to you, We'd help you!" He smirked at me and it made my stomach turn in anger. "He's nineteen years old with a broken leg, Last time I checked you don't need legs to make a fucking sandwich, Jack." Suddenly his eyes widened and a frown formed, for a second I believed it could of been genuine but then I remembered how good his acting was. My mum unsurprisingly believed him "Lily, I won't have that attitude in this house. Either get to your room or get out and think about how horrible your being to your brother." She turned back to the counter to finish making Jack's snack.

He raised his eyebrows in success as he left the room feeling pleased with himself. The way he played the victim deserved him an Oscar, It was truly remarkable. He'd had practice however, The judge and jury were his favorite audience, no amateur performer could act their way out of a 15 year manslaughter trial.