Chapter 5 - Liar, liar, pants on fire

Elodie got chills at the sight of the forest, wishing to escape behind the walls of the castle. Melancholy dragged over the trees, clouds throwing shadows upon the pale faces of the royal students. The wind was sharp, englufing their bones to the core and the witch shivered, rubbing her upper arms to create an illusion of warmth. Her cheeks turned red, the icy air burning her fragile skin with frost like coat and her lips paled, tinting with bluish color. Strangely, she was the only one who seemed to be cold. Some students even gave her strange looks due to her behaviour and so she let her hands fall limply by her sides, setting her jaw to stop the constant chatter of her teeth. The winter there was ruthless. Autumn alone was just a little reminder of what was awaiting behind the passing days.

Elodie examined the backyard, realizing there was no fence. No walls. Nothing, that devided the woods and the back entrence of the school. The danger was present at all times.

The garden of the academy was nothing but a plain ground, circled by the bare trees of the forest. Nothing outstanding, just the violated soil, repeatedly slashed by hellfire.

Something crushed under her boots and the witch looked under her feet, her eyes widening in dread. Elodie jumped away with a racing heart, frantically turning around to catch a reaction similar to her own. To see somebody scream in panic at the sight.

But there was none.

Nobody seemed to be bothered by the skeleton underneath her feet. Elodie hated how casual everyone was of the matter. They walked over bones for weeks, maybe months or years, yet none of them saw anything wrong with that.

The problem was, she had to act as if she didn't care as well.

Suddenly, blue flames appeared and out stepped a demon, too, hidden under a thick cloak-like cape. The students acknowledged him with the usuall formal greeting and gathered around him, awaiting instructions for the start of the lesson.

Elodie quickly realized what class was she attending.

Rituals were strictly held outside in the school grounds, as sometimes, if performed incorrectly, caused an unnecessary chaos.

Or death.

Demons were unpredictable creations. Some evil spirits existed beyond Lucifers control. Although their disobedience wasn't tollerated for long, it could cause a catastrophy by the time they were captured by his wrath. It was the reason why these practices were so dangerous for unskilled wizards and witches, taking a tool on their mental and physicall health despite their special ability to regenerate. Some demons possessed the royals despite their devil kissed nature and engulfed their soul in a mist of darkness, one, they weren't familiar with. The feeling could be compared to being stuck in a limbo, a forgotten place of no sense of time. Mostly, their mortal frames couldn't survive such madness of a feeling.

"Before we start the lesson, please, say your vows to your mother!"

The professor bid the students, motioning for them to create a circle. Elodie's hand was violently grabbed by one of the students and she flinched at the contact, startled as to what was happening. She tried to get rid of the iron grip on her hand, but the blond wizard wouldn't budge and closed his eyes, concentrating to feel the energy running through his vains. From the other side of her, Ginny took her hand as well and closed her eyes, waiting for the rest of the students to join.

"Mighty Hecate, Queen of the Witches,
I stand before you in this liminal space,
That you created for us alone,
Here in this place of in-between-"

Elodie looked around with startled eyes, realizing everybody knew the prayer except for her. The demon looked her way and she quickly closed her eyes, murmuring incomprehensible words to make it seem like she repeaded the vows from memory.