Chapter 8 - Tension

!Tension Warning!

Mist engulfed the forest, swallowing the backyard under the hood of white. The fog crawed between the trunks like a snake, venom dripping from the pasty air and soaking the cursed ground with heavy substance. It was an unfortunate day. Dead bodies of the past weeks started rotting, filling the air with the smell of decomposing flesh.

It was friday the thirteen'th.

Elodie ran out of the school in histeria, frantically looking everywhere. She couldn't see through the thickness of the ashen reek, immediately rocognizing the smell that hit her senses. Her face twisted in disgust, but nevertheless, she threw herself out there, determined to find the item of her previous possession.

She kneeled on the ground, feeling the earth to where was it previously violated. She dug in her fingers, clawing and forcing the dirt out in distress, looking for the matted papers in the clay. Her robes got immediately drenched, but she continued in her search for the single piece, brushing her hand over something firm.

The bones.

She forgot about them.

She crawled backwards from the corpse with a shallow gasp, her insides twisting with nauseousness. Her heart was pounding, her breath accelerating - when her palm landed on something thin.

Something sharp.

She whipped around, seeing the tip of the cover peeking from the ground. Her eyes widened.

Mindlessly, she dug in, pulling and clawing, until she fell backwards, holding the paper in her clutched hand. The victorious smile dropped from her lips at the realization.

It was burned.

The only thing left behind was a piece of the cover.

Her lips quivered at the fact and she clutched the remains in her hand with grinding teeth, her nostrils flaring in a mix of hopelessness and turmoil. She didn't want to be a slave anymore. She physically couldn't. Every time she remembered her previous Masters, her stomach flipped and she felt like vomiting. Elodie vividly remembered their faces. Their ruthless behaviour and degrading requests.

Her limbs buzzed with anxiety, when suddenly, her whole body froze.

A pair of bright yellow eyes stared at her from the mist, piercing her with bloodthirsty stare, the low growls reaching her reddened ears.

She did not dare to make a sound, nor to blink. Or react. She simply stared back at the creature, thinking, that maybe being a slave wasn't the worst thing that can happen to her.

She swiftly slit her eyes to the entrance of the school, hesitating weather to run or stay still. There was no other way out. She calculated her choices, but in every possible scenario, she ended up dead. Nevertheless, she listened to her gut.

And so she fleed.

She ran without looking back, her weak legs carrying her with sudden ease. Hearing thuds following after her, she impossibly fastened her face, flying through the door like an autumn leaf. She could feel the breath on the back of her heels when she grabbed the handle and slammed the door shut behind her, the noise rattling in her ears like an electricity. She was breathing loudly and violently, still pressing at the door in fear the creature was still near.

"What are you doing?"

Elodie almost jumped out of her skin in fright. She slammed against the door in shock, her back hard against the metal.

"What the hell Draco!" she exclaimed, swinging her hands in the air. He was leaning against the wall with his hands in his pockets, unfazed by her outburst.
"What are you doing here?"