Chapter 15 - Good night, Adelaide

Elodie woke up to a cold and empty room. The fireplace died down long time ago and she shivered as she sat up, searching the space for a particular wizard. Her face fell when she realized he was nowhere to be seen.

She rubbed the sleep off of her eyes, realizing it was getting dark outisde. Her eyes swept over the clock on the opposite wall and her pupils widened.

She slept through the whole day.

Elodie wasn't sure weather to feel guilty about her missing class attendance, but she hadn't felt this well rested for quite some time.

Her eyes landed onto the coffee table and her heart sank at the sight of a letter placed under a glass of water, a momentary delusion making her see a shimmery paper that lied on the stairs.

She quickly bit back the nausea that overwelmed her senses and reached for the pergamen with shaky fingers, the sound of rustling reaching her ears from distance as she unfolded it.

She refused to overthink the content of it.

Another message was hidden within and it crumbled to the floor, landing just an inch from her bare feet. Her eyes quickly scanned over the first pergamen and gradually, a small smile tugged at the corner of her lip.

Good morning Elodie,

I sincerely hope you are feeling well. Please, try to eat up. I will return as soon as I can. Attend your classes to keep yourself busy.

Stay safe.

Gabriel

She looked over the bowl filled dried fruit and wallnuts, feeling a warm sensation spread through her vains. His kind gestures made her heart flutter and Elodie secretly wondered if she sees him again soon.

She took a fine sip of the cold liquid, cringing at the way it burnt her throat, but finished it anyways. Her lips were chapped and sticky from dehydration, her throat terribly dry. The water turned freezing since he left it there hours ago and Elodie felt goosebumps rose on her skin, the rawness of it chilling her to the core. She nuzzled further into the thick blanket and plopped a piece of dried apricot into her mouth, slowly chewing on it whilst unfolding the second piece of pergamen. She stopped mid bite when she realized what was she looking at.

It was a map.

A map of Morariel that highlighted the tunnels in the academy.

Her eyes looked through the dozens of pathways in astonishment, realizing that every corridor, every shared room was interlocked. It didn't take long until she understood the poorly drawn markings and her heart sank when she remembered why did she get the map in the first place.

Suddenly, the dried cherry turned sour in her mouth and she placed it back into the bowl, feeling anticipation drum in her fingertips.

Elodie knew, that delay would be way more painful, weather their conversation ends in her favour or not, and so she rose to her feet in determination, feeling her world spin.

Although rested, she missed the nutrition food provided and her blood preassure drastically dropped with any swifter movement. The witch took ahold of the cussioned furniture and grabbed a handful of the fruit, stuffing it into her mouth to keep the leftover energy.

Elodie quickly put on her uniform, her face twisting in disgust when the smell reached her nose. It reeked of dust and sweat and she realized, that Gabriel must had smelled it too, but he was too of a gentleman to point it out.

She rubbed her face in emberassment, too humbled to think about it any longer, aware she needed a shower first. A proper one.

Elodie was about to leave the room when she remembered something.