The White Violin

I shot up at the rumble of an explosion, followed by glass shattering

I shot up at the rumble of an explosion, followed by glass shattering. I flung my door open, everyone else had come out of their rooms to see what was happening.

"Yo, what the hell is going on?" Diego began to storm down the corridor towards where Pogo has appeared.

"Are those explosions coming from-?" Klaus began to ask.

"Vanya." Pogo interrupted, answering his question. "We need to get to safety outside the Academy."

The walls shook with the booming echoes of destruction. I grabbed Klaus' arm and began to run in the opposite direction; we both followed after Diego.

"Don't forget Mom!" Luther called after us, yelling over the noise of yet another explosion. They were getting closer.

"Where is she?" I shouted over the crashes as Diego, Klaus and I turned the corner. She wasn't at her usual spot, sat by the wall of paintings, where we thought she would be.

"Mom!" Both Klaus and Diego screamed.

Chunks of ceiling and pillars were falling down right, left and centre. As the three of us ran to the other side of the mezzanine a piece fell on us and I yelped in pain as we fell to the ground. Klaus and I coughed as we sat up, Diego was groaning, lying with his face on the floor.

"Klaus." I got his attention and looked up. Above us, the ceiling was cracking rapidly. It was going to fall.

"Diego!" We both yelled, urgently nudging him to get up, struggling to do so ourselves. I suddenly felt someone pulling me up, and I quickly grabbed Diego's arm. As soon as we were out of the way, the piece of ceiling came crashing down. It would've killed us if we had been underneath.

"Holy shit." Klaus' mouth was wide open as he slowly got up, using the railing to help.

"Did you do that?" I asked.

"No, Ben did." He shook his head in confusion while I pulled myself up off of the cool, dusty floor.

"Wha-?" A piece of glass smashed nearby, interrupting me. "Come on!" We both picked up Diego and helped him as we went as fast as we could.

The fire escape was the closest way out, and while we were halfway down the flight of stairs Diego let go of us, determined he could make it on his own and to not slow us down.

"You ok?" Klaus asked him when we reached the bottom.

"Hey, you just saved my life, man." He pulled Klaus into a hug.

Klaus looked at me over Diego's shoulder and shrugged. "Ok, great..."

"Shit." I looked up as another piece of rubble fell. "Grace!"