Right Back Where We Started

I fell with a grunt, landing on the hard concrete ground

"Ow, ow, ow." I winced as I pulled myself up. I must've done something to my ankle when I had fallen.

Where the hell was everyone else?

I heard a faint crackle of energy and looked up. Five's portal. "Guys!" I yelled but it was too late. The blue swirls shrunk to nothing and there wasn't anything I could do to get back.

"Klaus?" I called out, hoping he would be nearby if we had just arrived. "Five?" I tried again but got no reply. "Fucking hell." I groaned and I began to limp out of the alleyway I'd arrived in.

The sun was just about to set over the large buildings that made up wherever the hell I'd ended up. As I gazed around I was momentarily distracted and didn't see the girl walking towards me, crashing into her as I stumbled around, completely lost. "Oh gosh, I'm so sorry." I put a hand out to make sure she was ok, finally looking at her. Instantly I furrowed my brows and lost my breath. "Lizzy?"

"I'm sorry?" She asked, clearly as confused as me. There it was, that Liverpool accent was as strong as ever. "My name's Christine, are you alright?"

"What? Yeah, I'm fine. Sorry, it's just... you look so much like this girl I used to know."

"Oh, well..."

"Sorry, I must sound like a crazy person. I'm Olive." I gave her my hand to shake. "You can call me Liv." She smiled and took my hand.

"Well, you can call me Chris. Now, are you sure you're alright? You're limping." Chris. Lizzy's mum was called Chris, I was pretty sure I remembered her saying that when she would tell me stories about what her mum was like before she passed away.

"Oh, yeah, I just fell, I'm really clumsy." I lied, thinking it was best to not tell her how I had just fallen out of a massive portal in the sky.

"Can I walk you home?"

"Oh, it's ok..."

"It's no problem."

"No really it's-" I sighed. "I don't live anywhere, I have nowhere to stay."

"Then stay with me." I opened my mouth to protest but she cut me off. "And don't think about saying no, now come on, I only live around the corner." She put her arm around me and helped me walk.

"Thank you. I really appreciate it. I promise I'll be gone first thing tomorrow morning."

"Stay as long as you need. I've been needing a new roommate anyway."

"Oh, well in that case I might take you up on that offer." I grinned. Maybe this won't be too bad, I thought to myself.

"Here it is." We arrived outside a small convenience store. She let go of me as she fumbled through her bag for her keys, eventually finding them and unlocking the door. "I live upstairs." She explained. "And I own the shop too."