LIKE THE ZOMBIES DO

WEXTON

I stood looking for a book for class as wolf boy stood down the aisle, staring at Addison as she navigated the library.

Straight. Should've known.

Addison walked over to the boy and awkwardly grabbed his book and turned it around so it was no longer upside down. I scoffed as I grabbed the book I was looking for and walked past the wolf boy.

"Smooth" I muttered as I began to pass him "not that I'm one to talk, I'm incredibly awkward and terrible at getting people to like me so... actually yeah, fair play. I would've done the same" the boy seemed to smile at my rambling commentary, grabbing my arm to stop me as I tried to walk off.

"Hey, uh I'm Wyatt" the wolf stuttered out.

"Wexton" I returned with a smile.

"Cool" he smiled back. We seemed to stare at each other smiling for a while before he finally broke our trance. "uh – I don't think you're that awkward and you're great at getting people to like you cause I already think you're great"

"That's a lie but thanks. Maybe you just think that cause you're just as awkward as me" I joked back.

"That's probably it" he joked back with a sheepish smile as we walked towards the table where Addison and I were sitting.

"LIES!" the leader of the wolf pack called out as she slammed some history books on the table as I sat down next to Addison "these history books claim werewolves attacked Seabrook settlers but they struck first and stole our moonstone!" the she-wolf ranted with anger and hatred in her voice.

"Woah, that's rough – hah rough, ruff, you know? Nope nevermind not the time" I quickly spluttered out, chuckling to myself. Wyatt smiled at me, a small chuckle of his own leaving his lips.

"I'm sorry, I didn't know that" Addison apologized sympathetically.

"There's a lot you don't know" the girl snapped as she picked up her books and began to storm off.

"I know the alarm's going to go off if you don't check out those books!" Addison called out after the retreating girl.

"She's right you know!" I called out as well. The only response the wolf gave was throwing her necklace at the security system. The necklace glowed blue, the security system short circuiting as steam rolled off it, the girl walking through without any alarm.

"Our necklaces have a way with electronics" Wyatt informed, a cheeky smile on his face as he walked off.

"That's so cool" I muttered as I gawked after the wolves.

WYATT

"Useless!" Willa cried out in anger as she stared down at one of the many books in front of her "none of these books tell us about where the moonstone is hidden" she complained. We all looked down, upset that we weren't having any luck. We were quickly interrupted however as a group of zombies and Wexton walked over.

"Hello wolves" the tall zombie greeted as he came over " allow me to introduce myself, I'm Zed. Zombie, football star, presidential hopeful" the boy claimed enthusiastically, a big grin on his face as he extended his hand toward us.

"Brutal" Wexton mumbled after an awkward silence where no one shook Zed's hand.

"When zombies first came to Seabrook we were outsiders too" the older girl zombie tried to reason "which is why you need a great president like Zed to represent you. We'd be honoured if you guys joined us"