WE OWN THE NIGHT

Wyatt

I ripped down the small hand drawn sign the young zombie girl had made, running back off towards the woods. I tried to get thoughts of the white haired boy out of my mind as I ran, I had more important things to worry about.

The green of the trees whipped by in a blur as I ran, not even the wind howling in my ears distracting me enough to forget about the boy. We'd seen him in the woods before with the Great Alpha, but this time was different. This time he was right next to me, his hair a sleek and soft white that fell in front of his eyes. His eyes... the way they'd glowed back at me when our eyes met, it could only mean one thing... but I don't know if I have the luxury of worrying about that right now. I had to worry about saving the pack. But what if he was part of the pack? I mean technically he already is now.... Well that is if he accepts me. I wonder if he is a wolf? I mean he seems like one... he even seems like he could fit the second prophecy. I'm getting too excited now, I can't get my hopes up, what are the chances he's the Great Protector and my mate?

Looking around I noticed I was already getting close to the Den. Had I really let this boy fill my thoughts for so long? Great, I'm already going insane and I don't even know his name. How am I going to tell Willa?

"He's back! Wolves!" I heard my sister call out as I walked up to the entrance of the Den, shaking off any remaining thoughts of my mate and focusing on the situation at hand. I stripped off the workers uniform, retrieving my moonstone and allowing my pack to re-mark me. I let out a content growl, my fangs growing back in and my eyes glowing their signature amber. My eyes reminded me of the boy again for a minute, how my wolf side had come forth and mated even without my necklace – could the bond really be that strong?

"What did you find out?" Will asked, breaking me from my thoughts.

"They saw you howling Willa" I snapped at my sister.

"So?"

"We're exposed" I snapped again, how could she not see the danger of this?

"This looks nothing like us Wyatt, we have way better hair than that" she laughed, grabbing the picture I'd presented to her. I admit the drawing didn't look like us, but the town was still going to be suspicious.

"Stop being such a worry-wolf brother. I only said 'awoo'" Willa attempted to sooth me "it's like saying 'ciao', or 'aloha', or 'I'll rip your throat out'. Anyway, who cares what they think? It's a terrible town."

"We have to find the Great Alpha, or maybe even the Great Protector" I tried to reason with her.

"If there even is a Great Alpha, or a Great Protector" Willa grumbled.

"Willa! We saw her in the forest, she had the white hair; and, what about the boy? He could be the Great Protector" I exclaimed, slightly irritated with my sister's doubtfulness.

"It was probably just the light" Willa tried to cut me off.

"They're real, and they're going to lead us to the moonstone," I say, trying to bring a finality to the tone of my voice "and you know we don't have much time. More, and more of our pack are getting sick, our necklaces are almost out of power. We need to find the moonstone." I add for extra measure. Willa looks at me for a moment considering what I've said before Wynter speaks up.

"And when we do, we can recharge our necklaces and stay wolf-strong for another one hundred years!" the younger girl exclaims excitedly, a dreamy tone to her voice.

"Okay. Even if they're who we think they are, how do we find them?" Willa questioned.

"I found this" I begin, pulling a small piece of fabric from my pocket "in the woods, it's the girls."

"Oh!" Wynter gasps at my words " We'll track her down with our keen sense of smell!"

"It says Seabrook High on it," I answer Wynter with a slight grimace " so I thought we might just look there."

"Ugh, okay fine" Willa groans out "We find them and if they are who we suspect, they'll tell us where the moonstone is hidden"

"We go in the morning!" I call out, happy to have Willa finally agreeing with me.

"We go tonight!" Willa snaps out. Yikes. Okay.

"Or tonight works" I mutter in response as the rest of the pack lets out a great howl. Off to the school we go.

On the way up to the school I couldn't help but stare around in wonder, it was certainly different than the den. The school was built tall, every wall and window sleek and precise. I wondered what it was like to go to school here, wondered if my mate walked down this very hall every day. Did he enjoy school? Did he enjoy this life? All of these thoughts whirled around my head as we walked the dark halls, only being interrupted when Willa spoke up amongst our quiet group.

"We'll hide here, find them, get our moonstone, and leave this awful place" she ordered, opening up a large vent for our group to crawl into.

"I wouldn't call it awful," I spoke up with a shrug " they got something called fro-yo." Willa only raised an eyebrow at me in annoyance, rolling her eyes as she crawled into the vent.

"You're right, this towns the worst" I sighed out, taking a last glance around the hall before crawling in after everyone. This night would be a long one, but maybe I'd get to see the mysterious white-haired boy in the morning. 

This was a short filler chapter, just to let you see what's going on in Wyatt's head. Hope you're enjoying the story so far!!

-Storm