| 01 |

Warnings: None.

Background information on you: You are a 6th year Gryffindor and are best friends with Lily Evans. You are friendly with the Marauders, but not really close friends with them. 

Word count: 1049

Reader's Pov

"Evans, will you go out with me?" James potter asked for the millionth time. You rolled your eyes at this in both annoyance and jealousy. You had a crush on James, but you knew he liked Lily, so you never did anything about it.

"No. I'd rather go out with the giant squid." Lily immediately responded, not bothering to look up from her textbook. You snickered a bit at her words.

Usually, when Lily refused to go out with him, he would brush it off and move on, making another attempt the next day, or maybe even a few hours later. But, for some reason, he seemed more hurt today as you saw a frown appear on his face.

He quickly rushed out of the common room, not bothering to tell anyone where he was going.

You decided to go after him to see if he was okay. You walked aimlessly around the many corridors until you finally stumbled upon him. He was sitting down on a staircase, silent tears running down his face.

You slowly approached him. "Hey, James. Are you okay?" You asked him.

When he heard your voice, he snapped his head up. "Oh. Hey, (Y/N). Yeah, I'm fine." He said gloomily.

You took a seat next to him. "I know your not fine, James."

He just signed in response, looking off into the distance.

"Hey. Look at me." At this, he slowly turned his head towards you, "It's ganna be okay. I know Lily is denying it right now but I'm sure she'll come around." Saying these words to him made your heart break a little, but you'd rather him be happy, even if it meant being with someone else.

James put a small smile on his face, a few tears making their way down his cheeks.

You took his glasses off his face and wiped his tears away with your hand. Then, you took his glasses and cleaned them with your shirt, putting them back on him after you were done.

"Come on. Let's get back to common room." You said as you stood up from the staircase.

You suddenly felt him grab your arm and pull your back down on the stairs. You tilted your head at him in confusion.

"I don't wanna go back yet. Will you stay with me?" He asked softly. You melted under his stare.

"Of course."

He leaned his head on your shoulder, still keeping a hold on your hand as he mindlessly drew his thumb across the back it.

You knew that this moment meant more to you than it did to him, and thinking about that hurt your heart more than you'd like to admit.

But you decided to push those thoughts away for now and enjoy James' company.

...

It was a week after James' little breakdown and you noticed that he had not asked out Lily once. In fact, he seemed to have been avoiding her at all costs. His behavior was so strange that even Lily was asking you if he was okay.

"Lily, why are you now all of sudden worried about James? You weren't like this before." You said to her.

"I'm not worried about him! I just wanted to know why he hasn't bothered me. Not that I'm not enjoying this freedom I'm getting from him, but I just wanna know why." Lily signed, slumping back into the couch in the Gryffindor common room.

"Okay." You said, not really convinced by her words but deciding to drop it anyway. As if on queue, James and the rest of the Marauders came bustling in through the portrait hole. They were whispering animatedly but immediately stopped once they caught sight of you and Lily.

You raised an eyebrow at their behavior.

"James wants to talk you, (Y/N)." Sirius said, breaking the weird silence. It was almost impossible to hide the shock in your face. 

"Um, okay then." You said confusingly, standing up from the couch.

"Can we talk in private?" James asked once I approached him. "Maybe in my dorm?"

"Alright, sure."

You both walked up to his dorm and you could instantly tell which bed belonged to which Marauder by how clean or dirty their section was. I turned around to look at James who was nervously playing with his fingers.

"James, is everything alright?" You asked, taking a step closer to him.

"Um, yeah. Everything's fine. I just...wanted to tell you something." He said, looking everywhere except you.

"Go ahead."

"Right, okay. Well, I...I don't really know how to say this." He mumbled to himself. "You know what, I'm just ganna come out with it. I like you."

You were pretty sure that your brain had stopped working for a second before you finally mustered up some words. Or just one word.

"What?"

"I like you. As in a more than friends type of way." He said, finally looking into your eyes, which were the size of saucers.

"What — what about Lily?"

"I don't really like her. I was just hoping at some point, after asking her out a bunch of times, that feeling would come up so I can get over you."

"Oh." You stared at him for a moment, trying to see a hint of amusement in his face that might indicate that this was a prank, but there was nothing. "Well, I like you too." You said, smiling widely up at him.

"Really?" he said, taking a step closer to you.

"Really." You confirmed as James took another step, making you guys only inches apart from each other.

You couldn't wait any longer so you quickly pressed your lips to his, and he instantly melted into it as he wrapped his arms around your waist and yours around his neck.

You finally pulled apart after what felt like forever and you stared into his eyes.

"Woah." James whispered, looking like he had just won a million galleons.

You laughed at him as you shook your head. He was such an idiot, but he was your idiot.

<3