Chapter Eight: The Realization

--

Chapter Eight: The Realization

--

        My jaw dropped. The woman had been in the execution room while I saved my friends. A sudden jolt of anger ran through my veins. This could ruin everything; all of my plans to help the impoverished and force the rich to suffer. If she released what happened to the public, there would no doubt be an uprising from the rich. And maybe the poor would fight for me, considering I was helping them, but most don't even have magic to help with their efforts. Besides, that would just start a civil war. This couldn't be happening—I wasn't going to let it.

        "So I was right; you didn't know," she said with a smug smile.

        "Listen here," I whispered, staring directly into her blue eyes, "whatever you saw, you will not tell anyone. What happened in there is to stay a secret. Understood? If that gets out—well, I'm not even gonna think about it. But trust me, if an event occurs having to do with that piece of information, you will be the first person I go to. And it won't be pretty."

        "All right, all right. Now settle your temper; that's why I'm here to warn you. You've be reckless, Trent. If I happened to dislike you, or to dislike what you did for those innocent, impoverished people, I could've revealed that news. I could've told the guards and made an announcement to every rich person there was. And do you truly think, for one second, that they would ask for evidence, or make sure it wasn't someone else who did it? Because if so, you've got many more problems than just your recklessness," she said, moving her hands to her hips and tapping her foot impatiently.

        "Don't worry there—I got over the delusion that they could be fair a long time ago. But I do intend to change that while being king," I answered.

        "I don't care what you intend to change! I care about how careful you are. You're gonna ruin any chance you have a staying king. I saw that entire scene, where you made holograms of the people meant to be executed and freed them. I heard you explain your whole plan to them!" she exclaimed, anger filling her voice. "That's plenty to start uprisings, or even kick you out of kingship."

        "You did what?" a shocked voice screamed from behind me. I turned in horror to see a female guard standing behind me, her mouth hanging open. I looked back to the woman I was just talking to for help, but she had disappeared completely.

        "Look, what we were just saying it was just, um, well, it was a joke if—"

        "I heard the whole conversation! It wasn't a joke! She said she saw it and—"

        Her voice was cut off by a black blur dropping from the ceiling, landing right on top of the guard. She collapsed to the ground with a surprised scream, her black hair sprawling across the floor. A small stream of crimson red liquid crawled across the floor slowly, originating at her head.

        Standing up, the woman in black smiled.

        "Well, I suppose that problem is solved," she said. "A little surprise mixed with a death spell will always do you well."

        "Is she dead?" I asked, dreading the answer but knowing I needed to hear it. My heart pounded, trying to ignore her last comment; she didn't even care she'd just killed someone.

        "Probably. If not now then she will be soon. Every once in a while the spell takes a few minutes, but usually it's immediate," the woman explained.

        I sighed, looking at the ground and twirling my fingers uncomfortably. She just killed someone to protect me. I couldn't exactly be angry, but it wasn't possible to just let it slide. And I definitely couldn't send her to the dungeons without stating the reason; she didn't deserve it and that would ruin my reputation as king.