Chapter Thirteen: Preparations

        Getting back to Eastbell was quick. Cynthia and I transported ourselves to the outside of the gates that marked the territory of the Capitol, and then we were admitted back into the city after a brief check that we were still ourselves. The dark night sky nearly cloaked us completely; only the small bit of moonlight that fell over parts of the Capitol allowed us to see.

        When we walked through the large gates and onto the cobblestone streets, a large mass of people were assembled as if they were about to leave. Many soldiers were littered among them, appearing to be prepared to fight a battle.

        "Cynthia? Trent? Is that you?" a familiar voice screeched.

        "Hey, Lily," I called back, raising a hand and waving into the crowd.

        "Of course it's us, mother," Cynthia muttered from behind me, quiet enough so only I could hear.

        A cheer spread across the square, causing a smile to tug at my lips.

        "Thanks for everyone's support," I spoke, raising my voice to a level that most of the people in the square could hear. "Now, we will talk about the details of what just happened and what this means at a later time. First we need to consult with each other. We'll call you when we think we might have more information."

        A few people clapped and the square of people slowly dispersed. The moment people began moving, I pushed my way through the crowd that was left, making my way toward the front entrance. Lily was standing toward the back of the crowd, unsure of what to do. I signaled for her to follow me, not willing to waste any more time. I needed to hear more about gaining more power; I couldn't allow it to be pushed back any further. Anything could happen within the next twenty-four hours that I could use more power for. I wanted to be ready.

        When she caught up to me, she was breathing heavily.

        "All right, I know what you want to do, but before we even talk about power you need to tell me what happened to you two while you were there," Lily whispered frantically in my ear. We mounted the steps to the castle and entered the brightly lit corridor that took you to a foyer. I was beginning to get to know the castle well.

        The moment we entered the building we were met by a wave of heat.

        "Fine," I answered Lily after a moment of thinking. "I'll tell you about what happened to us but we need to hurry. I don't have the time to sit around and wait for trouble to find me when I can't defend myself."

        "Something must have happened," said Lily, narrowing her eyes at me as we continued toward the dining hall.

        "What do you mean? Of course something happened! How did you guys know by the way?" I asked, realizing it was slightly bizarre that they'd had a full crowd of people waiting to come get us when they had no reason to think we were harmed.

        "I meant that something must have happened that solidified your belief that you needed more power. I knew you had your mind set on it, but it never seemed this urgent," Lily explained. "And I knew that you didn't plan on this being a long visit. When the soldiers came stumbling back saying you'd been attacked, we tried to get a decent amount of people to come so that they knew that they couldn't just take our king."

        "We can talk more once we get to the library," I answered, ignoring her answer to my previous question. My mind had hopped to other things, buzzing like a squirrel on caffeine.