Chapter Twenty: The Surprise

The feeling of happiness that I felt over the months after I succeeded in my plans was unlike any other; I felt like a child who'd finally gotten what he wanted. Every time I go onto the streets, I can see rich people getting punished, or sulking around, trying to survive in the new life which they'd been so oblivious to for so long.

It had taken the guards a little while to adjust to their new prey, but by the time they did, they were just like they'd been to the poor—ruthless and enjoying their power fully.

And this suited me just fine, as things could have gone disastrously wrong if the guards weren't the type of people to enjoy forcing others to suffer so much. There were times when people from the rich who were now poor tried to rebel; tried to change the circumstances that they had, but each and every time the guards along with myself killed their 'rebellion' pretty quickly. The power I'd gained from my little encounter with Bobby so many years ago had proven to be quite useful on occasions like those when they decided they deserved better.

But as the years stretched on, I was growing old. I wasn't as quick as I used to be, and using magic was becoming more and more laborious. So, I took advantage of the power I had then, for I knew it was only a matter of time before someone tried to kick me out of kingship. And one day, I went to far with that, sending the chances that were originally there of staying king much longer toppling over.

The day felt warm after a long spell of cold, and the sun was shining for the first time in weeks. Like all the other citizens, I exited the castle and took a walk, basking in the sunlight and taking in the refreshing, warm air. But as I went through the street, people parted, running into alleyways or buildings so as not to have an encounter with me. This suited me perfectly considering if I really wanted someone in my presence they wouldn't be running away because they were afraid I'd do something to them.

As the crowds of people parted for me, too afraid to even watch where I was going, a familiar voice called out to me.

"Trent!" I turned as Cynthia came running as fast as an old woman could. By the time she reached me, she was panting and gripping onto my shoulder for support, although I wasn't the most steady thing she could find.

"What is it?" I asked, slightly confused. Onlookers on the street watched out of the corners of their eyes, as if afraid I'd notice and kill them. Cynthia looked as if she was debating between something, and then suddenly stood on the top of her toes so to make herself as tall as possible. Conveniently, her mouth was level with my ear at this height.

"I think I've figured it out," she whispered, making sure that I was the only pair of ears who could hear the information that she was giving.

"Figured what out?" I murmured back, trying desperately to make sure my voice wasn't too loud as the pedestrians around the street had stopped curiously. Some even inched closer to me in hopes of hearing what I had to say.

"A way to kill Bobby," she answered quietly, her voice quivering with excitement. Ever since her mother's identity had been stolen by Bobby years ago, she had wanted revenge, but we both decided it had to wait until after she had seen that her attempt to prevent me from making the rich suffer failed. But as the years dragged on, the idea had escaped my mind, and I hadn't been helping her. As Cynthia became more involved in my plan, she began to drop hers. Recently, though, a new fire for revenge was lit. Despite Lily's assurances that she was all right, it was quite clear that there was something off about her ever since Bobby had captured her and as she grew older it was becoming more and more apparent. By now, it was affecting her life severely, and Cynthia refused to let it go unnoticed.