Chapter Fourteen: Power

        "Yes," I answered, cracking my knuckles. I wasn't able to prevent a mischievous smile from playing onto my lips. I was about to gain the one thing I'd dreamed of my whole life; enough power to make a change; to make a difference. And once I had that power, I was going to be able to make the rich suffer what I had for years.

        It felt as if my whole life had led up to this moment. There was an excited energy that was flowing through me from head to toe.

        "You must be excited," Cynthia said with a small laugh, but it sounded as if the issue with Lily was taking most of her mental capacity. But in spite of the situation that she was trying to figure out, she looked slightly impressed.

        "What makes you say that?" I asked sarcastically, feeling as if I was bubbling over with the anticipation I felt. Weakly, she pointed toward my right hand. I held it up in front of my face, and my smile grew even wider. Coming out of the palm of my hand was a large array of colors. Different shades of blues, purples, pinks, yellows and greens were seemingly flowing out of my skin and moving fluidly through the air, changing shapes and mixing together. As I watched, my mouth dropped open slightly. 

        "It's amazing . . . why is it happening?" My voice reflected the awe that was flowing through my body.

        "That's what happens when something has caused your emotions to be so extreme that the power you obtain leaves your body for a moment. It's almost like if you fill up a cup with too much liquid, it will overflow. This is the safest form, though. I had a friend once who was so angry that pure energy blew out of her body. She destroyed all the buildings around her, sent the cobblestones flying up from the street, and nearly killed a man near her," said Lily, who'd previously remained quiet. She was reading the book she'd grabbed as if she was checking she had everything prepared.

        Cynthia's expressions were wiped from her face as she stared at her mother once again. Slowly, she began shaking her head. Even though I was about ten feet away, I could see a muscle along her jaw pop as she stared at Lily with a look of pure loathing.

        "Lily, if you'll excuse us for a minute, Trent and I need to step outside for a minute," Cynthia said, grabbing my arm with an iron grip and dragging me out of the stone room. As I tripped over the threshold of the door, Cynthia spun on her heel.

        "There's no way it's my mother," she said, keeping her voice low. Even though she was barely audible, I could hear the hatred filling her body through the way she spoke. "No one has the right to pretend to be my mother."

        "I know that's what you think, Cynthia, but what if it is?" I asked, tapping my foot impatiently. I didn't have time for her superstitions; I needed to get this power now; before I could be called away for a meeting from the king; before I could be captured by Westbell. If this truly wasn't Lily she could be dead. And if she was dead, then there would be no way at all to get this power, or to complete my plan concerning the rich and the poor. Imposter or not, they seemed to know what they were doing back in that room.

        "There's no chance," she remarked, her look scolding me more than her words.

        "What if it really is your mother? What if, maybe, you're just being suspicious because we were just captured by Westbell? Or maybe she's trying out a new personality! Whatever it is, this could all be a figment of your imagination. And what's going on is important business," I said, my voice sounding almost as urgent as I felt.