Chapter Two: The Duties of a King

--

Chapter Two: The Duties of a King

--

Every right implies a responsibility;
every opportunity an obligation
every possession a duty
-John D. Rockefeller

The rest of the night passed in a blur of delicious food and laughing. I kept on a smile and happy façade, but my outward emotions reflected none of the ones bubbling around on the inside.

My uncle's warning swirled around my head, refusing to release me from their maze. I bare a warning, Trent. Power has a funny way of affecting everyone who comes across it. It will take control of you; corrupt you. Once you get a little bit of it, it will be impossible for you to stop. And more often than not, pursuit of power ends in death. Be careful, my boy, for if you get too wrapped up in it, I wouldn't be surprised if the next time I see you, I'm looking at your dead body. What did it all mean? Was he telling me this because he thought I was too young to handle power? Or maybe he meant exactly what he said; power is too much to handle and is relentless.

As I pretended to be intrigued by what others had to say, I stewed over his words, trying desperately to find a meaning deeper than the words themselves. They had to mean something more, right? And did he truly believe that I would die if power were to take control of me? I couldn't see anything getting that far.

"Goodbye, Trent. We're so proud of you and hope that you hold this power 'til the day you die; you deserve it," my aunt said, pulling me into an embrace. I pulled myself out of the muddled pool of ideas I called my thoughts and focused on what was happening currently. My uncle had left hours ago, and I wished he'd taken all the other guests with him. I loved all of my extended family but truly preferred to visit them separately and for small amounts of time. Feasts going into the early hours of morning were not my cup of tea.

"Thank you; your words mean a lot to me. I hope to keep this power for enough time to do at least some good in this twisted world," I said with a smile. Despite the happiness my face may have shown, my words weren't able to hide the despair and anger I felt at this nation for being the way it was.

With a smile, she departed the room, ushering her three children and husband along with her. I turned to survey the room. Only my immediate family remained, my four younger siblings asleep near the fireplace. For some reason, despite all of their disadvantages, the impoverished all seemed to have small families; I couldn't figure out why not matter how hard I tried.

"Thank you for putting this all together," I said to my mother, placing a calm hand on her shoulder, my mind drifting to thoughts of sleep. I couldn't wait to try the plush bed waiting for me back in my quarters. I'd never slept on more than a mattress laid on the ground as a child; the thought of sleeping on something so elegant pushed my body further into the abyss of sleep.

"It was no problem! It was just one more way of showing our pride in you and how thankful to you we are; for once, we won't freeze during the winter. And we just can't believe you're at this point now," my mother began, tears welling in her eyes once more. "You've worked so hard, my son."

I forced a smile, pulling her into an embrace.

"Are you sure you don't want to stay in the castle with me?" I asked, pulling away from my mother and looking at her inquisitively. "There is plenty of room and tons of heat."