Chapter One: The Warning

Note: This is a prequel to Uncontrollable. You should read that first, although it's not necessary to understand what is happening . . .

Enjoy!

++++

Chapter One: The Warning

                                            It doesn't pay to ignore warnings

                                            even if they don't make sense

                                                        -Debra Doyle

        Memories of my treacherous past haunted my mind as I sat in my elegant quarters, waiting for my parents to arrive. Just this room was larger than my entire house had been when I lived in poverty, the high, arching ceilings and gorgeous painted windows more sophisticated than any I'd seen in my life. Just sitting in such riches, I felt out of place. But there was also a kind of joy to it. I had overcome all the terrible things that life had thrown at me. I was on the top now.

        The bed that sat across the room from the plush couch I was seated on was large; just as stylish as the rest of the room.

      I tapped my foot impatiently, waiting for my parents to arrive. They would be so proud. A smile played on my lips just at the thought of them seeing all that I'd accomplished.

        Fighting to power was a large accomplishment on its own, but when you were poor and you gained the throne of Eastbell; that was just unheard of.

        All those years of practice had finally paid off, and I was going to use it to my advantage.

        Now that I'd pulled my family from rags to riches, I was going to make the wealthy who put us through so much pain and suffering for so many years pay for what they'd done. But not yet; I needed the people to trust me and believe I was a good person first. I needed them to fall into my trap. And then - and only then - I would get my revenge.

        A knock on the large, wooden oak door pulled me out of my thoughts.

        "You can come in," I called out across the room, staring intently at the door to see who my visitor was.

        My eyes lit up as my parents entered the room, faces full of pride.

        I stood up and walked toward their outstretched arms.

        After a quick hug, they began speaking.

        "Trent, we are so proud of you," my father said, puffing his chest. "You've brought us from poverty to being royalty."

        "We will be eternally grateful," my mother added, a smile stretching from ear to ear.

        "You don't need to be; we deserve this," I said flicking my eyes between both of their faces.

        "I suppose so." My father's words were colder than before, but his demeanor didn't change.

        "I can show you to your rooms if you'd like," I offered, starting toward the door.

        "No, you don't need you to yet. First, we have a surprise for you," my mother said, unable to restrain excitement from flooding her voice. My heart began beating slightly faster at the idea of a surprise. What could they have done for me?