The Eighth Prince Returns

After my incredible shot, Linwen storms off. My sense of triumph is like a tanhua, a brilliant and ethereal but ruthlessly short-lived bloom. For no sooner does Quan Linwen depart than a shrill shriek tears the sky asunder. The sound sends chills racing down my spine, and despite being swaddled in the thick furs of Cilanru's gift, I can't help but feel cold. I know who has returned. Everyone knows.

Suddenly, I'm nervous, more nervous than I was on the dawn of my first battle, any of my battles. A gaping pit occupies my stomach, growing bigger with each breath I struggle to draw in. It's not a foreign feeling per se, but for some reason, I can't stop it, can't crush it, can't dominate it, control it like I always have. A strange sense of déjà vu comes over me, whispering into my ear, "You know why. You know why. You know." And I do know. The small modicum of control —freedom— I deluded myself into thinking I have is brushed away, a mere mirage tantalizing, no, mocking my thirsting soul. This feeling, like a ship being relentlessly thrown about in a storm, incapable of resisting... This cold. It can only be one person.

So why am I nervous? I think back to our wedding. That metallic tang, that stench. I should not have been feeling at home. No. It dawns on me, what I'm feeling. It's not a feeling, it's not an emotion. It is something deeper, far more guttural, primal, instinctual. It is something as old as man, as the first animals.

Fear. True fear.

<--------------------------------->

Liu Taiping

"Your Highness, you should report to His Imperial Majesty first!" A chorus of agreements comes from my lieutenants. Quan Linwen kneels in front of me in protest, palm against fist in a military salute. Her hazel eyes stare up at me with a mixture of duty, protest, and worship. I must remind her sometimes that she's too easy to read. Another plea from Quan Linwen causes me to glance at the Jinlong Hall, where the Emperor is. The Emperor... My father in name but not in reality. That addled old fart, lounging on his golden throne, in his golden palace, listening to an endless stream of golden praises from those piss-golden eunuchs while they mismanage the affairs of state in his name. I would wish him an early death if I didn't despise my brothers more.

"My butcher brother limps home at last! How many did you slaughter this time? Did you bring any baby heads back for me?" Speak of the devil and he shall arrive huh? The Heizhenzu bristle at the sudden advent of the Second Prince, but prostrate themselves nevertheless, afraid they'll weaken my position in court.

"To what does this one owe the pleasure, Brother Second Prince?"

"This Liu Xie wonders if you would be amiable to the idea of allowing ministerial oversight of your—" the Second Prince's face contorts in disgust "—rampages. This might help repair Brother Taiping's reputation in the eyes of commoners. After all the sages say: a person needs a face; a tree needs bark." Oh, dear brother, would you be so kind as to allow me to put a leash on you and your followers. About your reputation? I'm sure a reassignment to some trivial position would do wonders for it!

"A thousand thanks Brother Xie, but you and I both know ministerial oversight would only hamper the efforts of my Heizhenzu to root out those who would dare seek to undermine our Great Han. Your sages might say: one who is upright need not fear a crooked shadow." In other words, your officials are some of the very ones being investigated.

The scholars and bureaucrats accompanying my brother bristle at the implication of my words but have the mind to remain silent. It won't save them from being investigated if that's what they're hoping for; I have files on all of them already. Liu Xie and I begrudgingly pass by each other without further verbal dueling. My eyes turn forward, looking past the blinding golden gables of the Jinlong Hall to my own palace. Without another word, I turn my back on the Jinlong Hall and head home.

Idioms- Two saying are featured here: a person needs a face; a tree needs bark (人要脸, 树要皮) & one who is upright need not fear a crooked shadow (身正不怕影子斜). The first idiom essentially means those without a good reputation cannot survive. This involves the concept of "face", which is essentially prestige/social position. So, if you give someone face, then you're complimenting them or doing something for them that will allow them to increase their social standing. The second idiom means that a righteous individual is not afraid of appearing unrighteous; hence, Liu Taiping simultaneously finds a polite and "educated" way to turn down Liu Xie's offer while also implying that he is a righteous individual.

A/N- A lot of hidden meanings going on in thischapter. I hope I managed to make everything relatively clear :), if not pleasecomment and tell me what I can do to make stuff clearer.