Chapter 22

*Central Park Boathouse- Main hall*

Mary Maltz took a deep breath as she walked straight to the stage where a band were entertaining the guests because Jonathon Holder, the groom, being a bit late. Mary took the microphone from the vocalist’s hand and after an even deeper breath said, “Everyone thank you so much for gathering for this happy celebration, and it really means a lot.” The guests start clapping and Mary continues, “However, sadly the wedding is cancelled due to some difficulties between me and Jonathon.” Everyone goes silent. “You can enjoy the party like you were supposed to, so let’s cut the cake and enjoy, but before we go on I want to make one thing clear.” With everyone’s attention towards her Mary continued, “Jonathon and I were never truly dating.” With those last words that left everyone in a state of confusion, Mary headed to the chocolate cake and cut the first piece, alone. She gave the first piece to little Joanthon. The party continued on and everyone seemed to have even forgotten that they were attending a called off wedding after Mary changed her clothes.

*5 hours later*

The very last guest had left the boathouse after bidding their host a goodbye. Finally Mary had a chance to tell both her family and Jonathon’s family the actual truth that they owed. Mary Maltz’s father, Diego, took it better than expected and simply gave a nod of disapproval and crossed his arms. On the other hand, Jonathon’s sister was boiling in rage and all she did was curse Jonathon and apologize to Mary Maltz for having such a stupid and irresponsible little brother. Before Mary Maltz’s parents left, her mother in the presence of her husband said, “He will be back, I promise you.” Monique Maltz patted her daughter’s hand and gave her a kiss and exited the now empty boathouse. As they walked away, Mary thought of how her father hadn’t really commented on what her mother had said. Could it be that he believed the same thing? Of course not is what Mary thought at that moment.

Mary let her hair be carried by the wind as she walked beside the shiny water of the big pond. As Mary walked she looked lost in complete thought, as a result, she did not notice the eyes that were watching sharply. Not too far away from Mary stood Jonathon wearing a messy black tuxedo with an untied bow. Jonathon took off his coat and sat of the green grass and continued to watch Mary Maltz, the girl that was probably cursing him to death and who was most probably even planning his murder, fade away as their distance continued increasing.

When Mary was completely out of sight and not even a trace of her could be seen, Jonathon got up from where he was sitting on the green fresh grass and cursed himself as he grabbed his chest tight. “If only you hadn’t driven that night. Jonathon Holder you don’t deserve a girl like Mary.” With this last sentence Jonathon Holder disappeared from the very surface of the Earth only to reappear after 3 whole years.