Chapter 19

Mary Maltz called to Jonathon’s nephew, Jonathon. Little Jonathon just stuck his tongue out towards Mary. Mary grinned at him evilly and then got a bar of chocolate out of her pocket. Little Jonathon cutely saluted and started marching towards Mary. Mary snickered at how adorable little Jonathon could be, “so the opposite of his uncle”, thought Mary.

“What can I help you with Sir?” Asked little Jonathon trying to act like a soldier.

“I want you to go to Jonathon and ruin his cheesecake so he won’t win,” answered Mary.

“I don’t know about that, Sir.” Little Jonathon scratched his head while saying so.

“You are the only one who can help me. You don’t like me right?” asked Mary.

Little Jonathon crossed his arm and then nodded while he pouted, saying yes.

“If your uncle wins that competition you will see me every holiday and weekend.”

Little Jonathon’s eyes became wide as sunny up eggs, and shook his head so fast that he got a bit dizzy.

“Then ruin you uncle’s cheesecake no matter what, understood?” asked Mary in a commanding voice.

“Yes sir yes,” Saluted little Jonathon as he answered.

Little Jonathon marched to his uncle’s part of the kitchen and started following him around where ever he went. Mary knew from James face that he wasn’t in the least bothered by it, so she hoped that little Jonathon had other strategies, as a good soldier should. Fortunately he did, little Jonathon started asking the most annoying question in the world, ‘What’s this?’ , but the charm was that he didn’t only ask it once, no, he must have at least asked that question more than 20 times in just 5 minutes. Mary Maltz smiled as she noticed the discomfort of Jonathon Holder. Mary Maltz smiled knowing that it was only matter of seconds till Jonathon would lose it entirely. Unfortunately he didn’t. Jonathon had bribed Mary’s little soldier with a piece of cheesecake. Mary was betrayed by that two-face sweet-lover, little Jonathon. Trying to anger the little Jonathon, she unwrapped the chocolate bar and started taking huge bites and while chewing the huge chocolate bar, Mary stuck her tongue out towards little Jonathon. When she decided to do that she had not meant any harm, but to Mary’s total shock, little Jonathon started crying. It wasn’t only a few drops of tears, but an overflowing river of tears.

When Jonathon noticed that his nephew was crying for a reason that he did not know, he asked him what’s wrong and little Jonathon had answer, ” the old lady is eating my chocolate bar.” Jonathon was confused until he pointed towards Mary Maltz who was trying in a corner, but had failed miserably. Jonathon cracked a smile and then promised little Jonathon that he would make him a chocolate pancake, with that little spell, all the crying was gone and little Jonathon was smiling happily. Little Jonathon picked up a huge bowl with his small shaking hands and said, “I can help you Uncle Jon.” Jonathon knew what would happen and that it was too late it to stop it from happening so he just closed his eyes shut. Little Jonathon lost balance and the contents of the huge bowl were all over the once shiny black and white tiles.

Jonathon sighed and opened his eyes, what he saw before himself was a total mess and in middle of it all little Jonathon who was on the verge of crying, not being able to stop he starts crying and between sobs he says, “Sorry Uncle Jonathon, bowl..too heavy…I –” Jonathon kneels in front of his crybaby of a nephew and puts his finger in front of his mouth and says, “Shhhhh” little Jonathon looks up to his Uncle, “It’s okay, little me.” Jonathon then smiled sweetly at his nephew. There was that huge horn sound again, but this time indicating the end of the competition.

Not having been able to make the cheesecake in time Diego Maltz won, but Diego did not seem happy about his win at all. Diego kept glaring at Jonathon all while Monique Maltz ate the strawberry cheesecake that her husband had prepared for her. Not being able to take it and losing his temper, Jonathon shouts at Diego, “What? What do you want from me?” Diego starts laughing loudly and between laughs says, “I don’t want anything from you, but clearly you are mad that you can’t marry my daughter.” Jonathon was about to say something back when Diego beat him to it and said, “Don’t worry, I don’t want to be reason behind my daughter’s grief, so you have my permission for  this wedding, but you better give me grandchildren fast.” Jonathon had reached his limit and simply fainted. While still in the corner Mary shouted in her head, “You are the person behind all of my grief dad.”