Chapter 14

Mary just watched as she saw her father get really rough with Jonathon, seeing that he couldn’t take it anymore than that, she decided to interrupt their ‘friendly’ conversation. Mary went to her father hugged him from the back and said with a really sweet voice, “Daddy, don’t kill my boyfriend even if he might take over your title from you. Don’t you love me daddy?” Then to add more affect she made a pouted face and teary eyes; Jonathon was shocked with this side of Mary and was more shocked to see that Diego, Mary’s father actually bought that cheap acting, “I guess fathers have a soft spot for their girls.” Thought Jonathon while getting up from the ground. He was glad that Mary had stepped in when she did or he would be in a worse condition than he already is. Jonathon was glad to see that Diego had purposely not damaged his hands but he took out his anger on his legs and stomach which surely without even looking he knew were covered with bruses, but still he didn’t know what Mr. Maltz when he said that he had stolen his title but something told him that it had to do with Mary.

Jonathon waited for almost an hour before Mary had clamed her father down and had hugged him and then seemed to have promised something and then he finally left the apartment. You might think that Jonathon should have simply left the apartment and didn’t need to wait for a whole hour, but Jonathon knew that Mary had some explaining to do and he needed to hear them.

When her father left she let out a breath of relief thinking that it went a lot better than she had expected it would, I guess that’s because she lied about Jonathon being her boyfriend and maybe fiancé to be. She knew that Jonathon hadn’t left because he wanted some answers. She went to the kitchen where he was sitting on the dining table eating Salami Snails which Mary knew for sure he ahd made because she  hadn’t  have one those in like forever.  Mary sat across him and took one of the Salami Snails and took a bite and shut her eyes to enjoy the bit of salty taste caused by the salami, it was absolute Salami heaven.

 Jonathon dragged her out of Salami heaven when he asked, “So will you tell me what’s exactly happening here?”  ,breaking her daydream. Mary looked at him and then sighed and said, “Well it’s a little of a messy situation but don’t say anything till I finish talking, okay?” Jonathon leaned back on the chair and said, “Fine.” Mary got up from her chair confusing Jonathon but she said that she just had to get something and she will be back. Mary came back holding in her hand a magazine, a cooking magazine, Jonathon guessed from the title “Cook-Off”. Mary placed the magazine in front of Jonathon and then said, “So, let me start with who I am. I’m a food critic, I came to Jon’s Diner as a food critic to write an article about the food in your diner. I told you that your pasta reminded me of my father, Diego Maltz, right?” Jonathon just nodded. “Well on my article page 3 I wrote that how you are kind of going to be the next NYC Master Chef. That is actually considered rude to the current Master Chef who is Diego Maltz, my father, and it would natural for him to feel like his title is being stolen.” Jonathon was looking at her with total disbelief in his eyes then just grabbed the magazine and opened page 3 and read through the article as fast as a flash and then was about to say something when Mary bet him to it and placed her hand on his mouth and said, “You said you would listen to everything I’ve got to say before you made a comment.” Jonathon rolled his eyes and then understanding that he would listen to her, Mary took her hand from his mouth. Feeling a bit guilty Mary cleared her throat and then continued, “And about the part about stealing my daughter part. Well, the only I could have saved you from dying at the hands of my father was to say that you were my boyfriend and that if he hurt you it would hurt me too. That might have not been the smartest move but it saved you thankfully and my acting worked too even though it was really bad. Diego however is still a bit overprotective and says that you have to compete with him to show your worth.” Mary was smiling sheepishly and that was when Jonathon got up and headed for the door. But Mary ran towards the door blocked it and then crossed her arms and said, “If you lose Diego is going to ruin not only you but also the Diner, and I know that you don’t care about what happens to you but what about the Diner?” Jonathon pushed her out of the way, shot her a furious glare and then walked out of the apartment slamming the door shut.

 Mary gave out a long deep sigh and then replaced the frown with a big smile and then said, “That could have gone better, but I convinced him, yay.” She then did a victory pose while walking back to the kitchen to finish those Salami Snails.

*Picture of a Salami Snail included*