Chapter 12

When Mary saw what Jonathon had prepared for breakfast, her stomach started rumbling as if it had not just eaten a full bowl of cereal 15 minutes ago. Mary quickly took her seat and started eating that sandwich like a pig. From the corner of her eye she could see the smile of relief that Jonathon had on his face, she rolled her eyes knowing that he was expecting no less. To Mary, Jonathon seemed like the type of chef who didn’t care where he cooked or how much he was paid; all he cared about was his customer’s satisfaction and them enjoying the food that he prepares for them; just like her father. After a while Jonathon started eating his cheesesteak too and finishing it faster than Mary even though she started earlier than him, “he is a fast eater.” thought Mary.

After eating that super delicious cheesesteak they were both stuffed. With a smirk playing on his lips Jonathon looked at Mary’s green eyes and asked, “Still think that my cooking tastes plain?” Mary blushed a bit at the way he questioned her with total confidence and then replied, “I never thought that, Jonathon Holder.” Mary knew that he was confused by this so she continued saying, “Yesterday night, I said that because I was a bit scared because your cooking reminded me of my father’s cooking, I’m really sorry about that, but I’m going to totally make it up to you, don’t worry.” Mary looked at Jonathon and saw that his face was frozen and he had stopped blinking, she thought that maybe what she had just said now, had really hurt his pride or something for him to go to a frozen mode.

Just when she was about to check if he was still even breathing, Jonathon started laughing. Between laughs he said, “You were afraid of my cooking? I was afraid of you because you had my big sister’s name. This is freaking hilarious.” Soon, Mary joined him in laughing; they laughed so hard that they ended up on the floor, rolling on the floor grabbing their stomachs, like little kids who had eaten too much sugar.

 At some point they had stopped laughing and were just silently staring at each other’s eyes, both of them searching to find out what the other was thinking. Jonathon broke the silence by thanking Mary and saying, “But thanks to you, I was able to face my big sister after 7 years of running away, Thank you Mary. By the way what’s your full name?” Mary broke their gaze and answered, “I’m Mary Maltz.” Jonathon then smiled a heartwarming smile and his grey eyes pierced through Mary and then he said, “It’s nice to meet you Mary Maltz.” Just when Mary was about to reply she noticed that he had already fallen deeply in sleep, and seeing how peaceful Jonathon looked while sleeping, Mary also let herself be taken away to the depth of sleep.