XXX. Farewell

It was finally over, all of it. And now Lucien didn't know what to do with himself.

After Thorin and Fili's funeral, the company was left behind to pick up the pieces. Bilbo left soon after, off to head home after the long trip and be in the comfort and familiarity of what was his. Lucien didn't blame him at all, if he had a home he would definitely be on his way as soon as he was strong enough to say his goodbyes.

It felt odd parting ways with the hobbit. The two had grown so close over such a long period of time and now they wouldn't be seeing one another every second of the day. Lucien didn't have to keep one eye on the creature at all times to make sure he wasn't in trouble.

It was tragic but that just meant there was room for another adventure.

"I will miss you, Bilbo," Lucien spoke truthfully as he stood on his knees and peered into the eyes of the hobbit sorrowfully. How much this creature had changed was immense, he still had that unsure stance but it was clear he was resilient within. Fighting a dragon will do that to you.

"And I will miss you, Lucien," He smiled, "You will come to visit me, won't you?"

The wizard couldn't help the chuckle that tumbled from his lips, almost as if he couldn't believe the question, "Of course. I would love to see your home."

And that was when his small companion left his side to head back to his homely burrow. It left a sour but relieved feel in his chest that he chose to ignore.

Kili and his female elf friend were hitting it off as if they had known each other for years, never leaving one another's side and it was sweet. Love like that only came around once in a lifetime and it was clear those two were experiencing it firsthand. 

Tauriel seemed much more tolerable around Lucien as well, grateful for picking her up and sending her to Kili's aid when she was ready to give up. She didn't know what she would have done if she had been too late. 

"Uncle!" It seemed the title had stuck for Kili as now that was the only name he called the wizard, most thought it was a coping mechanism for losing Thorin and in a way, it was but really Kili didn't want to call him anything else. "Will you be coming back to the mountain?"

Lucien paused for a moment, taking in Kili and the company, Tauriel not too far behind. He saw the strength, the relief, and the sadness. It all stared right back at him and it made the wizard proud.

He peered up at the mountain before them, a lot of memories made, promises broken and tears were shed in that place and he wasn't sure if he could go back so soon. When he thought of Erebor he thought of the company, Bilbo, the two prince brothers, and Thorin but he couldn't have that anymore. His love was gone for good and so was his little Hobbit and the blonde princeling.

The thought caused his heart to ache.

Then there were the people of Dale, or Bard and his children more like it, the ones he adored and cherished, the ones he had to stay away from for so long.

The man stood waiting, possibly for another farewell or maybe an embrace to tell him Lucien would be staying after all. Those warm eyes were like home to the wizard now as they gazed into his dark ones, expectingly.

Lucien sighed, "No, Kili, I think I'll stay around here for a while." He smiled at the young dwarf and he nodded.

"I understand. We'll see you when you come to visit, hm?"

"Yes and I expect little dwelves running around very soon," Lucien teased, eyeing the redheaded elf with a smirk. She blushed with embarrassment and quickly averted her eyes.