XXVII. The Children

"How are the girls?" Lucien asked the man next to him as he inspected the street they walked down. The surrounding area was very dirty and dark with people milling around, older humans hobbling around while the children strolled with their parents in a glum sort of way. Lucien swore nothing had changed since the time they lived in Lake-town although there was a lot more energy amongst the people.

Bard grinned, "The girls are good. Singrid still has a hard time with the new title the people have given her but Tilda loves it, prancing around like the princess she is." He chuckled. It was good to see the man so happy, to see that light glimmer in his eyes and the newfound strength in his stride. Bard was a changed man and Lucien was proud to see it.

"And you?" The wizard questioned, hands behind his back, "How are you dealing with this new responsibility?"

The two passed a young girl who waved their way and they pair returned it causing her to giggle and ran off to her father that was closeby.

"I think I am doing well. As well as I can without you here to help me." Bard gave Lucien a pointed to look.

"Oh, you are fine without me, Bard. Look at you, the epitome of royalty I say."

The pair laughed.

"I thank you, Lucien. Your opinion means a great deal, you know."

Lucien cocked his head to the side in question, "And why is that?"

"Well, you pushed me to be my best in my time of need, of course." Bard frowned at the sound of doubt hidden in the wizard's words, "You helped me through a difficult situation and now whenever I must make a decision I think back to what you told me."

"I-" Lucien was at a loss for words, "I didn't know it meant that much to you." His tone dropped in shame as did his head, he honestly thought Bard would forget about him and everything he said and go one with his life not that something he did impact his choices in the future.

The man wrapped an arm around the wizard's shoulder, knowing he was struggling with his own problems. "It meant more than you'll know."

The man's new home was bigger, nicer, although anything but extravagant. The wood wasn't rotten, the structure wasn't crooked and there were no visible holes in the walls or roof. A very good change for the family indeed.

 They walked inside, finding the children and Martha inside. They all seemed rather content and happy as the girls sat by the fire, Singrid reading to her sister while Bain and Carson took up the couch and Martha milled around the kitchen. The sight was homely and warm.

Lucien grinned, "Don't you all look cozy?"

This caught the attention of the five, their eyes widening in surprise as Bard's done minutes ago. "Lucien!" They exclaimed. Tilda ran forward and jumped into the wizard's open arms, squealing glee.

"You came back." Bain stood, hazel eyes shining with disbelief and elation.

"I did," The wizard smiled, "It just took me a while." He chuckled rather humorlessly and set the young girl down so he could wrap the boy in a hug, one hand running through his light brown locks.

Singrid was next, not excitable but Lucien didn't mind one bit. There were tears in her eyes and rings under her eyes, matching those of the wizard's. It was clear the girl was worked in taking care of everyone. So mature and caring for such a young thing.

"I was worried for you, you know?" Bain frowned as he pulled away.

Lucien nodded, "And I, you. How is your friend?" He asked the three children.