16 - The truth lies in a small corner

"A lie that is half-truth is the darkest of all lies

"A lie that is half-truth is the darkest of all lies."
-Alfred Tennyson

It was just a soft chuckle, a faint laugh, but it made Lisa and Jonathan stiffen. In the battle, they had landed on top of each other and were still laying in the same position. Their eyes met and Lisa saw the same look in his eyes that she probably had. As if they had been caught.

"Sorry, am I interrupting something?" It was Olivia, still laughing. Suddenly, Lisa became very aware of Jonathan's hands on her wrists, his legs against hers. Jonathan's eyes widened, he let go of her hands and scrambled on his feet. Lisa felt her cheeks burning.

"Yes, our training." Jonathan's voice was flat and irritated, brushing the dust off his clothes.

"That's not what it looked like," Olivia joked, crossing her arms. Jonathan swallowed noticeably and glared at her. "But what exactly did you mean by half-blood?" Jonathan jerked his head to the left, facing her. Lisa's eyes widened, Olivia had heard that he had called her a half-blood. She broke into a cold sweat, trying to make up an excuse in her mind, but Jonathan was already ahead of her.

"It's none of your business," he snapped. Lisa knew it came out sharper than intended. She shook her head at him, he looked back in confusion.

"Come on, I'm part of the big happy family now, right?" Olivia stared at her, but her voice sounded mocking. Lisa took a deep breath and cursed her brain for finding no excuse.

"My father was not a shadowhunter." She almost had to push the words out of her throat. Olivia looked up in confusion, demanding more information with her black eyes. "He was a mundane and died a long time ago," Lisa rambled, keeping her head high, as if the words didn't bother her. Chills ran down her spine, she suddenly felt naked in her black top. Lisa walked to her jacket on the floor and put it back on.

"What's so awful about that? I mean, he's a mundane," said Olivia. "Why do you shadowhunters always have anything against us?" She felt the urge to remind Olivia she was a shadowhunter as well, not a mundane, but resisted. She threw a meaningful glance at Jonathan, wishing Anna were here, she would understand her unspoken message.

"It is forbidden to have any relationship with a mundane. If the Clave found out my mother had something - a child - with a human, her runes would be cut off and she would have been banished."

"And you? They wouldn't send away a baby, would they?"

"No, I could have stayed," Lisa sighed, "but it doesn't matter." She straightened her back again and pointed a threatening finger at Olivia. "You're not going to say a word about this. My father may be dead, but that doesn't exempt my mother from her guilt."

"Okay okay. Take it easy." Olivia folded her hands in front of her. "Typically the Clave, with their stupid rules." She walked away from the door. "And are you some kind of half-shadowhunter?"