40 - Aught but death part thee and me

"It is the unknown we fear when we look upon death and darkness, nothing more

"It is the unknown we fear when we look upon death and darkness, nothing more."
-J.K Rowling

Lisa's first instinct was to look at Thomas, to her surprise he looked as shocked as she did. So the Queen had played him too.

"I will wipe the shadowhunters off the face of the earth once and for all, the Seelie Court will rule again." Without further ado, she started reciting a Latin spell. Her red hair was lifted by the sudden gust of wind that swept through the room. Pink leaves were ripped from the tree and floated around like a sandstorm. That was just a foretaste of the scepter's power.

Lisa made eye contact with her parabatai. They had to do something before it was all too late. It was Lisa's fault that this could happen, she was going to fix it herself. Anna gave her a revealing nod. She smiled, knowing they were thinking the exact same thing.

Not a second later, Anna rammed her elbow into the eye of the guard holding her. Surprised, he jumped back and pressed his hand to his sore eye. Lisa saw that as her sign to get moving. She punched her leg back, right between the legs of the fairy. He gave a cramped sound and fell to his knees. Lisa couldn't contain a laugh as she picked up his fallen bow from the ground. She quickly took the arrows from the quiver before he rose again.

When she looked back up, her friends were surrounded by guards. They were fighting in group, even Olivia had found a weapon and fought with as much strength as any shadowhunter. Her gaze went to the gigantic tree, there she would have a great overview, her legs started to move.

Soon her path was blocked by an elf, he lashed out with his sword. Lisa bent down, she felt the blade go right over her head. She nocked an arrow, turned quickly, and hit the fairy in the forearm. Satisfied, she reached the tree and began to climb. Involuntarily she thought back to her training sessions with Jonathan. The branches creaked alarmingly as she leaned on them with all her weight.

She had a good look at the Queen from that position, who was fortunately still casting her spell, clearly shaken by the unexpected fight. Again she nocked an arrow, raised her bow, and held her breath, trying not to fall from the branch. Her hand trembled terribly, this arrow couldn't miss, but there was no time to lose either. Reflexively she let go of the string, the arrow shot right at the ruby ​​of the scepter.

At this point, the scepter was more dangerous than the Queen, she had to destroy it at all costs. Tumult rose in the room as the arrow bounced off the gem. The impact wasn't powerful enough to break the ruby, but it was enough to snatch the scepter from her hands temporarily. Her plan had failed.

"An assault on our Majesty!" cried the guard, who she had kneed. "Kill her!" Lisa took the ring off her finger, which luckily still worked, and jumped off the branch as fast as she could. She heard the sound of dozens of arrows digging into the wood behind her.

Her short flying lessons didn't prevent her from nearly knocking to the ground. The ring slipped on her finger again, Lisa scanned her surroundings. There was the scepter.