20 - The Hydra

"Elves are enchanting

"Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.
No one ever said elves are nice. Elves are bad."
-Terry Pratchett

"We're getting close." Jonathan turned in another alley. The sensor in his hand vibrated louder as they got closer to the demon.

"You said that five minutes ago." Arthur followed him closely and commented enough for both of them. Jonathan wondered if it would've been better if he had gone alone, now he had to protect Arthur too.

Suddenly he stopped and Arthur bumped into him. Before he could open his mouth again, Jonathan pressed his hand to his mouth. Around the corner was a demon, it was a four-headed Hydra. But he was not alone, there were two elves standing by it. He did not know exactly which species, one looked like a small, living tree. The other one next to him was much smaller and looked suspiciously like a Brownie. Not the pastry, but the little nasty creatures. Treedude carried a spear and the Brownie a number of daggers.

Arthur had been holding his breath the whole time, and Jonathan was afraid he might pass out. But instead, he took his crossbow and notched an arrow. Jonathan followed suit, hiding his sensor and taking his sword. He didn't know what the elves were chattering about with the Hydra, but it couldn't be any good. In addition, they carried weapons and so they were allowed to arrest them. Arthur aimed his bow at the Hydra. Jonathan wanted to tell him to wait a little longer, but it was already too late. The arrow flew just past one of its heads and hit the wall. All six heads turned in their direction and Arthur swore under his breath. The tree elf shouted something to the Hydra in a language he didn't understand, but he was almost certain it meant "Get them!".

The Hydra had thick dark green skin and stumbled toward them, its jaws wide open. The elves ran the other way. Arthur tried to notch a new arrow, but Jonathan jumped in front of him and was able to parry an attack with his sword just in time. Green slime dripped from the Hydra's mouths. Arthur shot another arrow, this time hitting one of his heads. The demon whimpered, but immediately attacked again. Jonathan lashed out with his sword and cut off one of his heads. He hoped this wasn't one of those beasts that would grow two heads instead.

The head wriggled on the ground a little more and then disappeared. A lot of liquid was dripping from the wound, but the demon did not seem completely defeated. Jonathan took advantage of the demon's confusion to run past him.

"Come on, those elves are getting away!" He threw his phone to Arthur. "Call Lisa!" He hoped he could catch up with them, shadowhunters were fast, almost as fast as vampires. Arthur was on the phone meanwhile, and Jonathan looked back. The Hydra was coming after them again, with - to Jonathan's relief - only three heads. He took a dagger from his belt and threw it. The Hydra was hit, but it slowed him down at best.

Meanwhile, it had started to rain and he felt the drops trickle down his back. They had almost caught up with the fey now, but they had brought a few more friends. There were two new elves who looked much like their tree-ish friend, although one looked more like a bush and the other had a large leaf as a shield.