19 - The Shadow Market

"We must not look at goblin men,We must not buy their fruits:Who knows upon what soil they fedTheir hungry thirsty roots?"-Christina Rossetti

We must not buy their fruits:
Who knows upon what soil they fed
Their hungry thirsty roots?"
-Christina Rossetti

"What's taking him so long?" Anna sighed and checked her watch for the fifth time. Olivia was opening all kinds of cupboards and doors in the hallway and it was starting to annoy Lisa. Lisa was standing in front of the elevator door and tapping her foot on the floor, she hated waiting. Just as she was about to propose to check where he was, Jonathan appeared around the corner. He walked very calmly, hands in his pockets. "Finally, you're here!" Anna turned and pressed the elevator button.

"Finally?" he echoed. "I'm right on time, right? At a quarter past seven you said-"

"A quarter to seven!" They stepped into the elevator, Lisa pushed the button down. Jonathan sighed in frustration and Anna followed suit. All five wore their uniforms and weapons. Arthur - who had been sitting in a chair the whole time - carried a crossbow and Olivia a seraph blade and throwing knives.

Arthur looked nervous. "What are we actually going to do?" The elevator doors squeaked open and they got out.

"You," Anna pointed to Jonathan and Arthur, "are on patrol."

"And what are we going to do, if I may ask?" Olivia crossed her arms, clearly unhappy with the group division.

"We're going to the Shadow Market," Lisa said cheerfully.

"Er, what is a Shadow Market?" Arthur queried. Anna explained that it was a place where merchants sold goods and magic - sometimes illegally.

"Kind of like the black market," Arthur said thoughtfully.

"And we should see if they are not conducting illegal business?" Olivia huffed and glared at the floor. "Dull."

"I think it sounds like fun," Arthur pouted.

"Okay, then I'll go on patrol with Jonathan." Olivia threw the boy aside and stood next to Jonathan.

"No way." Jonathan pushed Olivia back in their direction. "Next time we'll switch," he said with a wink. Apparently, Olivia no longer wanted to argue, because she stood still next to Anna.

*

"And how exactly do we have to be "unobtrusive"? We stand out pretty hard," Olivia shouted. Anna tried to silence her, which was more difficult than it seemed. "We wear gear and armour and are covered in runes!" Lisa wished Jonathan would've taken her with him, but didn't show it.