32 - Love knows no hate

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Lisa sprawled on Anna's bed, her friend paced restlessly across the room. She skipped Thomas's dance classes with Anna's help. She couldn't handle it, the thought of Jonathan's hands on her waist had made her shiver. Not while Thomas's fingerprints were still there. She turned restlessly on Anna's soft bed.

Because I love you!

Those words had been haunting her since he'd spoken them. Just like the answer she couldn't get over her lips.

I love you too.

She should be happy, she'd found Thomas. Yet her heart wouldn't stop protesting. She wishes Thomas was here, that he would wrap his arms around her like the night before. That he would once again take away all her worries.

Anna stopped pacing abruptly and placed her back against the lime-yellow wall. Somehow she believed that Anna had already suspected her brother's feelings.

When Lisa got off the roof, she almost automatically burst into Anna's room and threw herself on the bed. Anna's protest stopped immediately when she saw her tears. She had told her friend everything, Anna had only nodded briefly and reproachfully. Lisa had broken Jonathan's heart without realizing it. Perhaps that was why Anna had been so angry about her relationship with Thomas.

"He'll get over it," was all Anna said. She wished she could believe that.

Anna cleared her throat and tapped her shoulder. "You don't have a dress," she said to change the subject, Lisa looked at her uncomprehendingly. "For tomorrow's ball," she clarified.

That drew Lisa back to the here and now, it was time to be a shadowhunter. She got up and straightened her uncreased clothes. Anna was right, it would be indiscrete if she went to the prom wearing gear. But the only dress she had was not suitable for a ball. As if Anna could read her mind, she said she had an idea. The next moment Lisa was pulled out of the room.

*

A few minutes later, Lisa was squeezed into an old dress from Marianne. She was lucky that Anna's mother still had old prom dresses lying around and was almost her height. But Marianne was also impossibly slim. Lisa gasped as Anna tightened the ribbons at the back.

"It fits perfectly." Lisa wanted to protest wholeheartedly until Anna pushed her in front of the mirror. The mint green dress was tight around her waist and touched the floor, so she could easily hide weapons in it. She touched the lace top, the dress was strapless and her skinny shoulders were bare. Lisa thought the dress was too tight around her body and too low cut, but Anna clapped encouragingly. Lisa turned to her with a sigh.

"Can't you go in my place?" She was aware of the childish tone in her voice, but she didn't care now.

"First, you can't keep outrunning Jonathan. That would only make him sadder," she said sternly. "Second, you two are the only ones who can go! Cassius would never expect me to go on a date with my brother." Lisa groaned and dropped onto Marianne's bed. Wearily she rubbed her eyes, whereupon Anna sighed and sat down next to her. Lisa let out a sob as Anna wrapped her arms around her.