26 - The fall

"Don't be afraid to fall

"Don't be afraid to fall. Your wings will catch you."
-Katie Kacvinsky

"Lisa! Wake up!" Anna shook her. Still sleepy, she waved Anna's words away. She squeezed her eyes shut against the sunlight as Anna pulled back the curtain. "I think something is going on, strange noises are coming from the hallway." She opened her eyes slowly only to see Anna's concerned face. Her hair was sticking out in every possible direction and had come loose from her braid. Lisa tried to remember what had happened last night, her head felt heavy. Anna pulled her out of bed and into the hallway, her leg hurt even more than yesterday.

Anna was right; disturbing noises came from the hallway. Together they opened the door. Jonathan was standing in the corridor, holding a floundering person in a headlock, his face pressed to the floor.

"I've caught a spy!" he said proudly to them. With his tousled hair, playful eyes, and proud expression, he looked like a child who had caught a frog.

"A spy?" Anna looked at her brother incredulously.

"That's not a spy," Lisa said uncomfortably, "that's Thomas Ashdown." Jonathan looked at her in amazement as the Centurion wrenched free from his grasp, stood up, and dusted off his clothes.

"Is this how you always receive your guests here?" he said quite irritated. Her friends looked from Thomas to Lisa, waiting for an explanation. Now Olivia and Arthur had come out of their room to listen to the apparently interesting story. Even Billy the dog sat wagging his tail next to Olivia.

When she finished the story about the Kappa and Thomas, who had miraculously emerged, everyone introduced themselves to him. Only Anna stood aside and pulled her back a little.

"I don't trust him," she whispered in her ear. Lisa rolled her eyes and turned to Anna.

"You don't trust anyone."

"Why was he looking for the Institute in the middle of the night. Why didn't he let us know in advance?" 

Lisa shrugged. "Time difference? And you know the Scholomance has only just reopened. They must be still sorting all the paperwork." Anna suddenly looked at her angrily and jabbed her finger at Lisa.

"Why were you out alone? If it hadn't been for that Centurion-"

"Then I would have saved myself. By the Angel Anna, you are not my mother." She turned her back to her and immediately regretted her words. Olivia seemed quite enthusiastic and asked Thomas about his education at the Scholomance. Jonathan rolled his eyes and said he was going to eat something, and his sister followed closely behind. Olivia watched them, with an unfathomable look in her eyes.

Arthur came standing next to her. "Did he really kill a Kappa? Underwater?" Lisa wanted to say for the umpteenth time that she really could have mastered the demon herself, but Lotte came running up to her. Arthur seemed to be frightened by her, for he headed for the hills and walked to the kitchen.