XXVIII: "The Infamous Ring"

A/N:
Hi y'all, just a quick note, it's been a month since I've updated the story, so it won't be such a bad idea to read the previous chapter first before continuing — it's not necessary, but it'd work great to freshen your memory a little bit. Nevertheless, please enjoy this new chapter!

The next morning went by in a blink of an eye for Evelyn; she'd spend her time in the garden, reading a philosophical book her lecturer had recommended. Though, her mind was musing on what had occurred the night before; Bobby subtly kept her at arm's length, and being on the receiving end had never pained her as much as that — he had insinuated that the sentiments he once possessed for her were dead.

Hearing rustling of the grass, Evelyn shut her beige, hardcover journal, and stacked a Rosseau's work above it. "Evie? Are you ready?" The person turned out to be her mother; her ears and neck were decorated in pearls, the green dress she was wearing was short above her knees; it was a casual attire, but Evelyn knew it was her luncheon one. "Do I have to go?" The young damsel twisted her braided locks into a bun, keeping it neat under the sun. "Your father's at his office, and now, you won't even come with me?" Julia crossed her arms to her chest, she shuffled her foot with the other. "Come on, we both know you love to have a bavardage with Rose. Just go, I won't be mad," Evelyn said, dismissing her mother's desperate plea.

Julia stepped closer to her daughter, lifting her hand to place it on Evelyn's shoulder. "You have to come. I don't want you to lose trust in me, ma grande," Julia begged, her eyes revealed her dramatic emotions. There was no response from Evelyn, and for a slight second, the mother was ready to walk away. "Fine, fine." Until Evelyn reluctantly agreed, she received a thankful smile from Julia. "Come, we'll have a good lunch together." The older woman reached for Evelyn's arm; wrapping her hand around it as if she was her husband.

When the French mother and daughter reached the Kennedys' home, they were shocked to see piles of sand covering the porch. "Julia, Evelyn!" Rose gleefully invited them to enter her house — however, she took heed of their staring on the surface where they stood. "Oh, I swear to God..." The woman shook her head furiously, and from there, Evelyn began to worry about what she was going to do. "I'll get Sarah to clean this. Please excuse me." Rose gestured for the two guests to enter the house and take shelter from the sun.

"But Mrs. Kennedy, I just cleaned the porch..." A woman asked in confusion as Rose continued to complain about the sandy porch. "I know! My boys must've been on the porch again, then." The two guests shifted their eyes elsewhere from the kitchen. "Well, alright. I'll go take a look." The servant took a grip of a broom and left with a puzzled head.

Rose made her way back into the living room  — her flustered face heightened the tensions. "I'm sorry about that. The boys are out sailing; I reckoned they brought the sands with them," She explained the situation like a worn-out mother. Julia slightly chuckled, her hair was swept back from her face. "Rose, we can go home if this is a bad time," She clarified. "No, please. I'll get Mary to serve the food." The elder woman called out to her maid; ordering her to serve light meals for lunch. "So, where's everybody else?" Evelyn inquired when she didn't catch a glimpse of Jean or Ethel.

"Oh— they're out for last-minute shopping; since we're leaving for Greenwich in three days." Rose reminded Evelyn; the wedding was sticking to the tradition of celebrating in the bride's hometown. "Speaking of which, have Maurice prepared for the trip?" Rose leaned forward, all ears opened. "Why, of course. We wouldn't miss it for the world." Julia glanced over to Evelyn, waiting for her to put her thoughts out. "Right. I'm very excited to go to Connecticut for the first time." The young woman lied; she had zero ideas about the state. "Well, I'm sure you two are hungry. So, come." Rose invited the two women to the dining table; it was embellished with three empty plates and a bowl of Cobb salad.