XLI: "'Tis the Damn Season"

In the room that belonged to his childhood friend, Bobby wondered why they never chewed the fat there; it was always the beach, the roof, or downtown. Could lack of personal touch in their friendship be the downfall of their romance?

Before he could ponder further, the sun — for a split second — shone over the ring on his finger, shaking the thoughts of out his head. God himself couldn't bear to answer the question, so deflection it was. "Hey, uh, do you wanna go to the pictures later?" He anxiously asked.

"Uh..." the woman held her breath, afraid of drowning in the dense atmosphere.

"Ethel and I are going tonight. So I thought... You know, why don't you tag along?" There was haste in his voice.

Evelyn gave her lungs a rest. "I'll ask Paul," she curtly replied.

"And if he can't make it?"

The question not only baffled her, but Bobby as well as his heart was in his mouth. "Why... not?" She asked.

"It's a late show."

"If he can't make it, then neither can I. We'd be pooped after sailing." Evelyn lifted her shoulders in a shrug, and Bobby merely nodded in response.

"Well, see you at dinner." He abruptly stood on his feet, ready to leave the conversation until she verbally put a halt to it.

"It's gonna be a girl," it was blurted out.

The idea of his ex-lover talking about the child he was to have with another woman didn't sit right with Bobby; he kept his head straight.

"Your kid's gonna blow us all away." Evelyn lowered her gaze, smiling at the scratched-up wooden floor. The silence was deafening, it was as though something forbidden had been revealed.

"A girl, huh?" Bobby eventually spoke up as he gazed at the wall across the hallway; perhaps it was the framed photo of the youthful Bellamys that caught his attention. "Well... thanks, Eve."

"Sure. I never get it wrong, but if I do, sorry in advance!" The woman chuckled to alleviate the pain in her heart, while the man shut his eyes, trying to numb the same sensation in the same place.

"Be safe out there," he coolly added before making his way towards the stairs.

Something told Evelyn he didn't want to hear what she had to say, but to give her the cold shoulder seemed a bit extreme.

In the overgrown garden, Evelyn and her mother clinked their teacups to celebrate her homecoming. It was serene and warm, like their drinks.

"Ah, that reminds me," Julia said, leaning forward from her chair. "Jack has been asking about you since you left! I was sure he'd fallen for you if it wasn't for your close relationship." She meticulously watched her daughter's facial expression change; there was a smile until she finished her sentence.

"I will visit him later..." Evelyn tucked a stray lock of hair behind her ear. She was reminded of what occurred the last time she and Jack shared a room — a peculiar love confession; the man thought he'd heard church bells ringing when it was just the wind chimes.

But it had been more than a year, she thought, surely they could laugh about it? Unless his love was stronger than Bobby's, which she doubted very much, but the thought amused her.

"I really wish you'd explain why you left us, Evie." The sudden sorrowful tome from her mother took Evelyn out of the immersion.

"I just needed time." She cleared her throat, tasting the sweet rosy fragrance on her uvula.

"From me?" Julia dramatically placed a hand on her chest.

"No, it was for my study." The girl refrained from rolling her two eyeballs as she grew tired of the melodramatists around her.