IV: "Non Compos Mentis"

[May 10, 1948]

Time was moving faster during springtime. Though the season was cozy, everybody awaited summer; the tanning, cold beverages, soft ice creams, and those fresh watermelons.

The clock struck midnight at the Kennedy compound. Two souls were swaying down the beach under the pale moonlight; they were not drunk — merely teenagers. A boy and a girl looking for the meaning of life. A Scorpio and a Taurus, the water that nourishes and enriches the soil of the earth. The flawed savior and the versatile damsel.

"Isn't it lovely— the stars?"

The much more masculine soul looked up to the sky as the feminine one urged him. But he had his eyes on the moon instead — he was distracted by the illuminating light. Bobby swore he could stare at it forever, as long as Evelyn keeps talking about the constellations.

"I happen to think the moon is deprived of attention." It was probable that Bobby was uttering anything that would make it seems like he's got a poet's soul, "do you think we'll ever know what's up there, Evelyn?" A question he never thought he would have any concern about. But that night, on Evelyn's birthday, the wires in his head seemed to be altered.

"Ah, is this your new fixation? Little green men?" Long walks on the beach couldn't be more of a cliché to people like Evelyn and Bobby. Still, there was something about the sea when the sun goes back into its short slumber. The calming breeze from the black ocean, and the ocean itself being painted in darkest particles; those glimmering specks from the moon — it all seemed like an abyss cloaked as Shangri-la.

"Don't tell me you believe in that." The creases above Bobby's nose bridge appeared as he furrowed his dark brows. "You're eighteen now." He snickered. It didn't make sense to Evelyn, why would he lie like that? She knew Bobby was interested, especially in unknown things. She has seen his journal; she's read through it when he left her alone in his bedroom. This is a façade, she thought. A façade he had put up in front of her, because for some unknown reasons, he has to be the mature one — the pragmatist, in their relationship.

"You must be a nincompoop— a true idiot, to think that we're alone in this universe." There was a disagreement between the two of them. A conflict that was quick to solve when Bobby made her a proposal: "let's steal my parents' booze and drink on the roof."

꧂꧂꧂꧂꧂꧂꧂꧂꧂꧂꧂꧂꧂꧂