II: "Beyond the Sea"

The warm summer breeze from the sea makes Evelyn question her decision over, and over again in her head. California is nothing like her hometown, it's hotter, and far more chaotic. Yet, whenever she watches the television, she couldn't help but fantasize seeing her name roll up at the end of a movie.

"Careful," Bobby utters. He lends his arm when he notices the overthinking woman almost slipped into the waves. "Evelyn, you're doing it again." With his eyes on the sand, Bobby sighs loudly to express his concern.

Evelyn quickly stops in her track, she swallows her saliva. "W-what?" The tension in the air spoils Bobby's mood. He stands quietly, eyes gazing into the distance. "I'm sorry." Evelyn shakes her head, though it does nothing to the fearful thoughts in it. "It's just... a little crazy. George Cukor's works are huge." Clearly, she's still against Joe's decision on giving her a tremendous opportunity in Hollywood.

"Pops can be a little crazy, too. It's in his habits," Bobby nonchalantly said, as if it was normal even for a girl like Evelyn — whom without a doubt is an exceptional beauty — to be chosen to play a high-paying role in a movie. To be a star. "You know him..." Bobby disrupts the girl's thought, "he only wants the best for his friend's daughter." He eventually found a spot for them to sit down, and have further discussion about their futures.

"And what about you?" Evelyn utters curiously. Bobby has had a tough year working under McCarthy. When he informed his father that he had resigned from the job that his father has gotten it for him, Joe lost it. He looked at his son as a failure, he couldn't believe how ridiculously immature Bobby was that he couldn't put their differences aside. "Honestly speaking?" The man takes the deepest breath before breathing out, "I don't know, Eve."

"But Joe..." Hesitantly, the brunette woman lays her gentle hand on Bobby's arm. "He must have an idea, right? He always does." She remains optimistic. Evelyn had known Bobby for too long to be worrying about the things she knows the old man can fix. "You're right. In fact, he offered me the last chance to work in the government." The sun unhurriedly rises from the horizon. "I might join him on the Hoover Commission." A dreadful smile pasted across Bobby's face.

Everyone is so distracted by Evelyn's dilemma that they've neglected Bobby, and his issues. His wife is pregnant with their third child, and yet he couldn't be home as much as he'd like, all from the pressure Joe has been putting on him. "Bobby, that sounds wonderful. You'd be working with Joe, I'm assuming?" Evelyn's enthusiasm appears at the wrong time.

Bobby couldn't care less about his father's efforts at trying to give him a prestigious job. "He won't allow me to be a lawyer. Doesn't want me to work under anyone else but him." Sighing loudly, Evelyn lays her head gently on the man's solid shoulder. "Come to California with me," She says. Soft chuckles, that's all Bobby responds with. He feels defeated, everything is going in the wrong direction. "Damn it, Eve, you're not supposed to go." Those words come out of Bobby's chest. The people he loves are slowly leaving him, departing the terminal to chase their dreams, while Bobby is stuck here with his controlling father, and maze of a marriage.

"I'll call you all the time, until you're sick of me." A smile appears on Bobby's face. It occurs rarely nowadays. "I appreciate the thought," He replies. They sit quietly as the sea greets the sun. Somewhere, beyond their expectations, a future is in the making for Evelyn. A future that would bring them back together whether they like it or not.

꧂꧂꧂꧂꧂꧂꧂꧂꧂꧂꧂꧂꧂꧂