XXX: "Living Poets"

Evelyn woke up with a strangled mind in the morning. She twirled her hair into a bun; holding it in place with a satin elastic her grandmother had given her. With the sun creeping into the room, the woman decided to let it enter and opened the window wide. The milieu of the sea across her bedroom sent electricity prickling down her backbones.

"Ah, the Kennedy boys are here." Greeting the boys so casually, anyone would've thought Evelyn was a psychic; she wasn't surprised to see them. "Bonjour, Eve." Bobby lifted his eyes from his plate of warm buttered toasts. His mind began rushing with yesterday's thoughts; did Evelyn remember to write a poem? "Morning, Lyn!" Jack, the eldest brother, was rather chirpy with a cup of coffee in his hand. "How are you fellas doing?" The young woman stole a toast from Ted's plate — a punishment for not greeting her. Evelyn knew he was still upset with the façade Bobby and she had put up. "Oh, just great. Bobby here is talking about sailing," Jack said, as he placed the empty mug on the counter, Julia immediately refilled it — almost like a machine.

"Morning, Mama. Oh, is that so?" Evelyn gave her mother a peck on the cheek; something she only did when her mood was uplifted. "Well, I told him you wanted to sail with us." Bobby felt somewhat embarrassed talking to Evelyn with his brothers around; he felt like he was being watched from all corners. "You sure, Lyn? It's boiling out there— even for me." Jack chimed in again, seemingly to have a genuine concern. "Oh, relax. I'm not ice cream— though I might look like it." Evelyn rested a hand on his shoulder, she shut an eye to wink at him.

Bobby observed her blatantly flirtatious manner towards the man. "Jesus Christ..." What came across as a harmless joke had Ted suddenly spoke up, his bloodshot eyes gawking at Evelyn in the face — everybody just went on and presumed he didn't sleep well last night. "Oh, Ted, you're green with envy." Bobby nudged the boy in the ribs, almost pushing him off the chair he was sitting on. "I'm not," The youngster responded, his face was red with anger rather than green. "I'm gonna head out." Evelyn glossed over the thorny conversation and changed the topic. "Ooh, where to?" Jack inquired, rubbing the palm of his hands together to get rid of any breadcrumbs.

"We need to stock up on our fruits." Julia engaged in the conversation, she sipped on her rose tea like a woman of high class. "Yep. I have some shopping to do." Evelyn proceeded to drape her body in a grey cardigan; the weather wasn't as hot as Jack claimed it to be. "Anyone wants to tag along?" She might've said anyone but anybody could've guessed she meant the man in the black polo shirt. "Bobby?" A smile spread across her face, Evelyn tried convincing him by lifting her eyebrows a couple of times. "Uh, sure. Let me just finish this really quickly." Bobby managed to get words out with a mouth full of bread. "I'll wait outside." The young woman obtained the key to her yellow Cadillac. "Okie-dokie." The man nodded, he calmly bit into his second toast.

Bobby slipped his hands into his pockets to make sure he had everything he needed before leaving. "Wow, I just realized something..." He said to Evelyn, and they began walking toward her car. "What?" She answered back. "You've never driven me to places before." Bobby waited for the vehicle to be unlocked and, like a true gentleman, opened the door for Evelyn. "Well, prepare yourself!" She teased before sitting down on the driver's seat.

It was a shockingly quiet drive; Bobby was distracted by the slow music on the radio, while Evelyn seemed to be going over the grocery list inside her head as she drove. When they arrived, the woman had to snap her fingers in front of the man to make sure he was aware of his surrounding.

"Don't get comfy. You have tasks, too!" Evelyn informed Bobby of his duty for their first stop. "I'm sure they have red apples there." She gestured to a pile of apples the store had sitting outside. "I'll look for peaches." Evelyn exited the car before Bobby could say anything in response. "Got that..." He added whether the woman heard it or not.