XII: "Deux Mondes"

It had been exactly one week since Kathleen's body was buried six feet under some damp soils. There were undeniable tensions between the two lovers, Bobby and Evelyn, which had never been more intense. After Evelyn gave him a goodbye kiss before leaving his room, Bobby completely isolated himself from the outside world.

On that night, Evelyn swore she could've heard two men arguing: it was the elder man in their house, and none other than Bobby — it was loud enough even for Maurice to hear it.

"Mama, do you hear that?" Evelyn shouted from the living room to her mother in the kitchen. "Oui. Don't bother, it's family business," Julia yelled out. Maurice approached Evelyn as she was eavesdropping. He must've heard the "you never cared for Kick!" or the "I was devastated, Bobby, I crumbled!" from the larger house. Maurice quickly slammed the door to their home and locking it.

"Mon Dieu, what did you say to the boy!?" Maurice whispered sharply as he made his way back to the couch. He had his eyes on his paperwork. Evelyn let out a huge sigh, she walked away from the entrance. "The truth, Papa." Maurice shook his head upon hearing it. "Tsk, tsk, tsk. Exactly what I advised you against." He raised his eyebrows with confidence, he had an I-told-you-so look on his face.

"You have no idea how hard it was for me to do it." Evelyn sat next to her father as he shifted slightly to give space to her. "Trust me, I know, ma fifille." Maurice continued writing as he was speaking, making Evelyn thinks he was absent-minded.

"Whatever, you're not even paying attention to me." As Evelyn was fiddling with her cigarette case — preparing to smoke, Maurice reached for it and threw it on the couch across from them. "Papa! What was that for?!" Evelyn groaned, she rose from her seat and walked a few feet to the other couch. "Proving to you that I'm listening, ma chère." The man in his mid-forties chuckled, thinking his antics were hilarious.

"I understand how hard it is to tell a boy that you want him to marry you— no matter the barriers, but you did it, Evie. You're a champion in my eyes." Maurice put his pen down before moving to the couch across, he gestured for Evelyn to move aside and sat beside her.

"You see, I had a similar problem when I was your age— probably older, but the world is moving faster than Barney Ewell," Maurice snuck a half-decent joke into his serious speech, "but yes, I was in love with someone else before I married your mother." Hearing the shocking statement from her father, Evelyn's eyes widened — it was unknown to her.

"She was the daughter of a wealthy judge, I was the son of a carpenter. Can I make it any more obvious?" Maurice held his breath for a second as he reminisced about his old days in Paris. "Her name was Emile. She was a great debutante, and she fell in love with me— who was then not even deserving of a simple glance." He shut his eyes as he cleared his empty throat, clearly savoring some of the memories of her that he could still remember.

"She had the most beautiful voice when she sang opera. Elle était en avance sur son tempts. " Maurice continued to grasp onto the scent of the woman, "a ballerina, and a college student— well, it was ton pepe, he wanted me to be the first in our family to graduate college." He explained as the vintage clock behind them ticked loudly. Evelyn was invested in the story, she was constantly nodding her head.

"Anyway." Maurice waved off, he fixed his position on the couch. "I sent her bouquets of roses everyday, and when we meet— we'd kiss like nobody is looking." He snickered under his breath, "oh, but fate had better plans." Evelyn furrowed her brows together, "how so?" She questioned her father.

"Well, I met—" Maurice paused when he heard footsteps approaching them. Julia entered the room, exhaling loudly as she wiped her hands on an apron. "Her." A smirk appeared on Maurice's face, Evelyn covered her mouth as she held her smile back. Julia narrowed her eyes, she smelled suspicions between the two. "Dinner's ready, mes amours." Julia left the father and daughter to laugh amongst themselves.

When the aftereffect of the silly exchanges between them had settled down, Maurice let out a long sigh. "So, you see... you're not alone in this situation. Imagine how Bobby must feel— just like I was; torn and aimlessly in love." He laid a hand on the back of Evelyn's hand. He smiled weakly, "I know how life always seems to disappoint us, but who knows... perhaps he is strong enough to beat the typical Romeo and Juliet love." Maurice spoke wisely, he was a sincere father — always has been since the beginning of her childhood.

"Merci beaucoup, Papa." Evelyn inhaled deeply in soundless manner, biting her lips to stop the overwhelming emotions from getting the best of her. "Come here, ma chérie." The father wrapped his tanned arms around his young daughter. He pats her on the back gently, telling her to always be patient with the test life had thrown in her direction.

"Allons-y! Dinner's getting cold," Maurice exclaimed exuberantly as he stood up with Evelyn, still having Evelyn's slender shoulders under his handgrip. They made their way to the dining room to enjoy a homemade French meal, while the house next door — everything was chaotic.

꧂꧂꧂꧂꧂꧂꧂꧂꧂꧂꧂꧂꧂꧂

PS: Another one of those 'detailed' chapter about Evelyn's personal life. Do read it though, it's important xx.