Chapter 16

Harry's P.O.V

I was doing some homework and trying to forget about my dad when my mum came into my room. "Hey, do you wanna come to grandma's house with me? She heard the news about her son...your dad, and we're gonna be there for her if you want. I know you don't like to talk about it much or even acknowledge that it's there...but it'd be nice if you came."

"Mom, honestly, I've got a lot of homework. And I don't really like talking about it." I told her, not looking up.

"I understand. I'll tell grandma you said hi." She said, she shut the door and I watched her car pull out of the driveway. 

I settled back down to do math homework, but I could barely concentrate. I kept twirling the pencil around in my hands and kept wanting to call Louis. But I have to get my homework done, and I'm sure he's busy too. I tried to focus, but I honestly couldn't. All of the sudden I heard something hit the side of my window. What? I crossed the room and looked, it was the guy who was calling Louis and I fags on the bus, he had a little group of 5 or 6 with him, they were egging my house. I opened my window to tell them to get lost when one of them interrupted me, "Come on, fag, you can't fight! Just go kill yourself and do us all a favor. You don't belong here you disgusting creature. You make me sick." 

I'm not sure why those words hit me so hard. Maybe it's the fact that they went out of their way to tell me to kill myself. Maybe it's the fact that my dad's still in the hospital because of cancer. Maybe it's the fact that I thought it would turn around this time. Maybe I was just so naive that I thought no one would really give a shit that I was gay. I felt another egg hit my window, and I decided in a burst of courage, to make them leave.

"You know what's really sad?" I yelled out my window. "That you have nothing better to do with your weekends, to the point where you decide to come egg my house. You know, I'm not even mad. I just feel sorry for you. Because I'm actually happy, and leading a good life and I'll get into college and become successful, meanwhile the only place you're going after high school is jail or a fast food restaurant. I hope you like sleeping on couches, because you're going to be doing that for the rest of your sorry fucking life." I slammed the window shut, and then a rock broke my window. That's the last straw. 

"Leave. Me. Alone!" I screamed out the window. "Get off my property before I call the cops." 

"Do you even know how fucking ugly and pathetic you are? Honestly, just kill yourself. Life truly isn't going to get better for you. Trust me, I can tell. We're going to make your life a living hell."

Ouch. Now that hurt. I really wanted them to leave, but I didn't have the courage to open my window. Because if I heard one more insult, I'd lose my mind, then another rock flew through my window. This one had writing on it. It said "Gay ass fag." And I just gave up. I didn't even care that more rocks were being thrown at me, I just curled up in a ball in the corner of my room.

Maybe they're right. Maybe I should just kill myself. If this is what I'm going to have to endure for the rest of my life, then I might as well just die right now. I mean, Louis'll get by without me. He's got other people to fall back on. Who knows? Maybe he'll find another guy that's smarter, cuter, funnier, and all around a better person than I am. Lindsey doesn't need me, we just met. She has Brandon anyway. My dad and mom might get pretty beat up, but they'll find a way to survive. I know. They're fighters, they're strong, they'll get by. 

Maybe now's the time to do it.

Louis's P.O.V

I was helping my dad with some chores involving his car - which involved me mostly giving him tools when he needed them - when I got a call from Harry. I left the garage because it was loud in there to pick up the phone. "Hello?" I said promptly after answering.

"Don't try to talk me out of what I'm telling you, Louis, but I think I'm going to do it. I've got my medication for in case I got bad again, and I'm ready to take them all. I just wanted to tell you that I love you and I'm going to miss you in the afterlife. Goodbye." And the phone line went dead.

What am I hearing? I felt my heart start to pound. I have to get over there right away. I called the police as I ran to find my dad, they were already on their way to the house so I told dad that I need to get to Harry's right away. When he asked why, I told him it was because I thought Harry was going to kill himself. We sprinted to the car and drove to Harry's house. I was there before the police and I broke the door down. 

I went into his room and I couldn't find him. I saw two rocks on his floor, and a broken window. One said "Gay ass faggot" and the other said "Kill yourself." I didn't even have time to be furious with whoever tortured him, I was just terrified for his life.

"Harry?! Harold Edward Styles don't you fucking do this. Not today. Not ever. This better be a joke." I said frantically as I ran to the bathroom. I found him swallowing a bunch of pills. I tackled him and tried to pull the pills out of his mouth, but he'd already swallowed them.

"Harry. Stay with me. Listen to my voice, stay with me. I need you. You can't do this to yourself, okay? You stay with me. Don't go to the light, even though everything seems easier there, you need to stay with me. I love you so much. Don't go. Please, don't go." My voice cracked as I heard police sirens. Everything else that happened was a blur.

Harry's P.O.V

All I remember was swallowing a bunch of pills when Louis burst in and tried to take them out of my mouth, I swallowed them before he could get them though. Then, as I started to drift into unconsciousness, he told me I needed to stay with him and that he loved me. At least the last words I heard were loving words, but they were a little too late.