Chapter 12

Harry's P.O.V

The bell rang, class was over, but I didn't move from my spot. I started to feel like I was drowning, I clutched my chests and took a deep breath. "Everything will be okay, Harold. This isn't the end of the world. You're going to be okay." I whispered to myself. I started taking deeper breaths. I felt like I couldn't breathe, the hallway got tighter and tighter with people. People shoved past me, and were yelling, dropping things at my feet. I suddenly realized how chaotic the whole scene unfolding in front of me was. 

"Hey, I brought you your backpack." I heard Lindsey say, but her voice was fading. 

"You okay? You look pale." She said, concerned. I swallowed and looked at her, her image was blurry. 

"Harry, you look really bad...are you okay? Please answer me." She started shaking me, I fell to the ground and everything was dark.

"Harry?" I saw a bright light. "Harry?" I heard the same voice say.

"What?" I groaned. 

"You're in the nurses office. Lindsey brought you here, saying you passed out in the middle of the hallway." The school nurse said. I blinked and rubbed my eyes as she came into focus.

"Did I really pass out?" I asked to no one in particular. 

"Yeah," Lindsey answered. "It was weird. You were just sitting there, and your face was really pale. You were breathing deep and clutching your chest, like you were hyperventilating. Then, I tried to get you to answer and you wouldn't. And after that you just passed out. So I brought you here."

"Wait, did you like, carry me?" 

"Kind of. I put an arm around my shoulder and dragged you over here."

"Thanks, Linds." I told her.

"Okay, by law I'm required to ask you after you pass out a few simple questions to see how your head is. What's your name?"

"Harold Edward Styles," I said slowly and clearly. 

"Where are you right now?"

"Nurses office." 

"Who's here with you?"

"The nurse, so that's you, and Lindsey."

"Okay, your head's fine. You should probably go home, though. Check up with your doctor or something. I'll call your mom."

She went and dialed a number, "Yes, I'm calling about your son, Harold. This is the school nurse, he passed out in the hallway. Lindsey, his friend, said that he was really pale and the black out seemed to be caused by hyperventilating, which he admitted to have been doing. Okay, you'll be here soon then? Alright. Bye." She put the phone down and turned to me as if I hadn't heard the conversation. "She's coming to pick you up in a few minutes. You stay here, Lindsey, you go on back to class."

I mouthed a "thanks" at Lindsey as she left. 

"Uh, did Lindsey say anything about my backpack?" 

"She said it was still in the hallway. You want to go get it?"

"Yeah, thanks," I went and jogged slightly to get my backpack. It was just sitting in the middle of the empty hallway.

I waited in the office until my mom came to get me. As soon as we got in the car she turned to me, "Harry. What caused you to hyperventilate in the hallway so bad that you passed out?" 

"It's nothing, I just felt really claustrophobic." I lied. I hoped it was believable. 

"What's the real reason?" So I wasn't believable after all.

"It's nothing, really," I said. I wasn't sure if that was a lie or not. 

"Harry, why won't you tell us what's going on? I'm afraid you're going to...get bad again."

"Mom, I'm not sure what's gonna happen but I sure as hell don't want you to worry, just let me be me, okay?" I snapped, then immediately felt bad.

The car was silent. "I'm sorry I asked," my mom was silent and staring out at the road.

"Mom, I'm really sorry. I didn't mean to snap like that."

"It's okay. I'm being nosey anyways. Just ignore me, I guess. But if you need or want to talk, I'm here and so is your father. We aren't going to hound you, okay? We're sorry."

"Mom, you're fine," I tried to assure her. "It's just...my life is so scrambled right now. I'm still trying to figure everything out and I don't want you worrying at all for me. Does that make sense?" 

"Yes, it makes complete sense. I'm sorry." We were silent for the rest of the drive. 

"Now," my mom broke the silence, "what I want you to do is go home, take a nice, long nap, okay? Just don't wear yourself out. You'll be okay." 

"I was going to do that anyways. It's probably my best bet at this point."

"Sounds good," she pulled into the driveway and turned off the car. I got out and walked inside.

"What's wrong?" My dad asked as I walked in, my mom rushed to him and started whispering furiously to him, telling him our little deal in the car as I walked noiselessly to my room. I lay in my bed, just staring at the ceiling. I tried to sleep, but too much was running through my mind. It was so unfair. Why do I screw up everything? This sucks. Being gay sucks. Love sucks. Life just sucks. I ended up falling asleep after all of that running through my mind. 

After I woke up around dinner time, I went downstairs and had spaghetti while my family just stared at me in silence. It wasn't an uncomfortable silence, it was an awkward silence. After I finished, I asked cautiously, "May I be excused?" They both nodded as I left the table.

I knew that if I checked my Facebook, there might be hate on my wall, but I had to see if Louis messaged me like he said he might. I saw that I had one notification, a message. I clicked on it, and it was from Louis. 

L: hey, sorry about today. i'm just in a really bad place, ok? And I heard you passed out...I'm sorry if i was the reason.

H: yeah, you kinda were the reason...

L: well, you know what?...

H: what? 

L: screw it. Let's try secretly dating again. is that ok?

H: yeah of course. Is this going to be our only means of communicating? 

L: no, here's my number...

After writing his number down, I called him. We talked and talked throughout the night. About life. Love. Everything. We stayed up till past 1am talking, and then we fell asleep.

I woke up the next morning and we were still on the phone, I could hear him snoring. It was as if we'd slept together. I whispered into the phone, "Wakey wakey."

"Hm? Oh, hey, babe." His morning voice was so hot. "You're still here?"

"Well, I fell asleep but I woke up a minute ago. Time to go to school and pretend we're nothing more than peers." I said with a slight sadness in my voice.

"Hey, it's only temporary okay? I'm going to come out soon. Before this year's out, I promise, okay?" 

"Okay." I whispered.