Chapter 4 - "Pilot"

Skye

"The secret is out.

For decades, your organization stayed in shadows, hiding the truth.

But, now we know... they are among us.

Heroes... and monsters."

*********************

[At HUB, Location Classified]

Hill: What does "S.H.I.E.L.D." stands for, Agent Ward?

Ward: Strategic Homeland Intervention Enforcement and Logistics Division. ...It means we're the line.. between our world and the much weirder world. We protect people from news they aren't ready to hear. And what we can't do that, we keep them safe. Something turns up... like the chitauri neural link... we get to it before someone bad does.

Hill: Any idea who Vanchat was planning to sell it to?

Ward: I'm more interested in how this Rising Tide group found out about this.

Hill: I thought they were just hackers.

Ward: What Changed?

Hill: Everything's changing.

Hill: And what does this mean to you?

Ward: It means someone really wanted our initials to spell out"SHIELD". It means we're the line... between the world and the much weirder world. We protect people from news they aren't ready to hear. And when we can't do that, we keep them safe. Something turns up... like this Chitauri neural link... we get to it before someone bad does.

Hill: Any idea who Vanchat was planning to sell it to?

Ward: I'm more interested in how this Rising Tide group found out about it.

Hill: I thought they were just hackers.

Ward: What changed?

Hill: Everything's changing. A little while ago, most people went to bed thinking that the craziest thing in the world was a billionaire in a flying metal suit. Then aliens invaded New York and were beaten back by, among others, a giant green monster, a costumed hero from the '40s, and a god.

Ward: I don't think Thor's technically a god.

Hill: Well, you haven't been near his arms. The battle of New York was the end of the world. This... now... is the new world. People are different. They have access to tech, to formulas, secrets they're not ready for.

Ward: Why was I pulled out of Paris?

Hill: That, you'll have to ask Agent Coulson.

Ward: Uh, yeah. I'm clearance level six. I know that... Agent Coulson was killed in action before the battle of New York. Got the full report.

Coulson (walking from Shadows): Welcome to level seven. ....Sorry... that corner was really dark, and I couldn't help myself. I think there's a bulb out.

(Together three started walking towards head office)

Ward: Director Fury faked your death... to motivate the Avengers.

Hill: Well, the death of a common ally is a particularly effective team builder.

(Female voice: Say "cheese.")

Coulson: Plus, it wasn't that much of a stretch. I stopped breathing for about 40 seconds. Eight. It gets longer every time you tell it. Yeah, well, you get shanked by the Asgardian Mussolini, you can tell it your way. I was looking at the big white light, and it felt like a lot longer than eight seconds.