7 | morning runs and conquering fears

J A M E S P O T T E R

He had never regretted anything more than agreeing to run with Ophelia. For one, he had to wake up before the sun was even up. And two, well, it was running.

James groaned as he rolled over in his bed, shoving his face into his pillow. "Keep it down, Prongs," Sirius scolded. "Just because you have to get up at the crack of dawn, doesn't mean we do."

The boy spun back over so he was on his back. He could go back to sleep. When he didn't show up, she would just leave and he could sleep in and all would be well. But he didn't want to lose out on more time he got to spend with her.

He had barely said a word to the girl the past six years and now that they were, well, friends, he wanted to learn everything he could about her. He didn't know if she felt the same about him but she certainly didn't hate him so that was an improvement from prior to their conversation the day before.

James huffed before getting out of bed and changing. He rubbed his eyes as he moved to leave the room, ramming into the door in the process. "Shut up," Sirius hissed.

He quickly shut the door to his room and made his way down the stairs. He left through the portrait just as he saw Ophelia begin to walk away. "Hey," he greeted and she turned around in surprise.

"I didn't think you were actually going to wake up," she informed him.

"Then why'd you come?"

"Figured I'd give you the benefit of the doubt," she shrugged. "Have you stretched?" He must have been making a face cause she laughed. She nodded her head in the direction she had been walking, "We can stretch outside."

He nodded, letting out a breath as he followed the girl out of the school. "If you stretch before and after, you won't be as sore later," she explained and his eyes widened slightly.

"I'm going to be sore?" he gaped.

"Most likely, yeah," she answered, laughing a little at his expression. "Depends how long we run for."

"I'm having second thoughts," he announced and she rolled her eyes.

"Feel free to head back then," she suggested. He watched her for a moment, contemplating whether he should go back but then decided against it. He moved and copied her stretches.

"You ready?" she asked him as she stretched her arm across her chest.

"Not at all," he answered honestly and she smiled.

"Come on," she nodded her head toward the woods. "We'll start off slow."

"In the woods?" he inquired.

"Scared, Potter?" she mused and he shook his head. He wasn't scared but he was surprised that she was so willing to go in. Most people would be terrified.

He matched pace with her for a good ten or so minutes until she seemed to start to speed up a little. He slowly started to fall behind so she stopped running and jogged in place.

She turned to face him, "You okay?"

"I'm fine," he nodded but his breathing was heavy.

"You want to head back?"

"I do," he nodded eagerly, "I want to head back."

She laughed before she walked to where he was, "Think you can run back or would you rather walk?"

"Walk," he suggested and she bit back a smile as the two made their way back to the castle.

"If I continue to run with you, you have to do something for me," he informed the girl and she narrowed her eyes.