13 | disownings and animagus

J A M E S P O T T E R

James realized approximately two seconds after the thought entered his mind that he was being an idiot. She just lost one of the people closest to her and of course she would go to someone who actually knew Reggie.

Remus had taken the boy's death pretty hard as well. Not that anyone could blame him. They had become friends of sorts after Sirius and him broke up and the circumstances in which he died made things that much worse.

The entire school's atmosphere had shifted significantly. Everyone had of course known the war was brewing and that something, even if they didn't know what specifically, was happening. But having it happen so close was an entirely different ball game.

"Earth to James," Lily spoke up but he kept his gaze on the floor, not hearing the girl. She huffed, growing irritated with the boy, "James!" He jumped, shaking his head slightly as he looked up at the redhead. "Merlin, you had me worried there for a minute. Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," he answered quickly. Because what else would he have been. Nothing had happened to him. All of his best friends were alive and well but a larger part of him felt for the girl he had grown close to.

"You look like you just saw a ghost," she informed him and he frowned looking back at the ground again. "We finished the rounds over an hour ago," she announced and he was surprised at this, "I was hoping you would snap out of whatever this is but you haven't and now I'm a little worried."

He stopped walking and looked around. He pinpointed where they were and started in the direction

"I'm fine," he repeated as he continued through the hall. "Never better."

"But Ophelia isn't," she stated and he stopped walking. She turned to face the boy, "I know you're worried about her-"

"Don't talk to me about Ophelia," he suggested and she frowned before he walked away.

O P H E L I A L O V E G O O D

"Can I go back to my room now?" Ophelia requested with a huff. "I'm fine. Fantastic really. Never better." Her gaze flickered over to the bed that her brother had been occupying up until a few days ago.

Pomfrey had requested that Ophelia sleep in the infirmary to make sure everything was okay. She was allowed out of the room for meals and classes but she was to stay the night until further notice.

The doctor's gaze followed Ophelia's, "Let me check you over one more time. If you're fine, I have no more protests."

Ophelia plastered on the best grateful smile she could muster as the doctor set to work and her own mind wandered.

"So you're taking Xeno home but leaving me here?" Ophelia concluded. She wanted to make sure she had the full story before she reacted in any way.

"We don't have the means to help you like they do here," her mother explained and it took the girl everything in her power not to scoff.

They were made aware of her condition almost immediately after it happened. They came to the school and had been remaining distant from Ophelia since they had arrived.

"But it wouldn't take much for you to get it," she pointed out, crossing her arms over her chest. She didn't hate the idea of going home and right now, wherever her brother was, was where she wanted to be.

"Your mother already told you no," her father reminded her. "Maybe you should listen."

"This has nothing to do with not being able to care for someone in my condition," she asked, looking between the two people who were supposed to love her no matter what. "It does have to do with my condition as a whole though, doesn't it?" she concluded. "Because of what I am now?"