Chapter 4

"Where the hell is Melissa?" Mrs. Gland said pacing at the reception with her cellphone to her ear.

"I'm trying to reach her ma'am, but shes not answering the phone." Taylor replied defensively.

"I have a client who will be in court in 20 minutes and he won't have a lawyer with him. Thats unacceptable!"

"I can go" Beyoncé offered, coming up to her boss. She had been listening to her, waiting for a chance to step in.

"You?" Mrs. Gland looked at Beyoncé, considering. "Do you think you're okay for it?"

"I'm fine. I've been fine for weeks."

Her boss wasn't convinced, but when her phone rang, with the clients name flashing on the screen, she let out a big sigh and answered, "Hi, Mr. Harrys, your attorney is on the way."

An hour later, Beyoncé sat on her couch at home, with an empty glass in hand from where she drained her whisky, watching the ice melt in the bottom. Her morning was supposed to be a great one. She was supposed to go back to doing what she loved and did so well, but instead Her eyes filled with tears as she remembered her paralyzed state in court. The way she couldn't bring herself to speak as a baby started to cry on the back. It should be a simple divorce case involving money and properties, but her words wouldn't come out. At the end, she had a furious client and boss, and most of all, she was furious with herself.

"Oh hi... I didn't expect to see you here." Shawn said walking into the house, clearly confused when he saw his wife sitting on the couch, drinking something that looked like Whisky.

"Well this is my house as well." She snapped at him.

"I didn't mean it like that. I just wondered why you're already here. Usually you're still at work at this time."

"First you complain that I work too late, and now that I came home early, you're still complaining. Make up your damn mind Shawn." Beyoncé said annoyed.

"Calm down. I'm not in the mood for another argument today." Shawn tried to defuse, keeping a calm voice.

"Me neither."

"You want to talk about it?" He asked. He knew that something was bothering his wife, but wasn't sure if she wanted to talk.

"I'm fine."

He nodded. "I'm gonna take a shower and then we can cook something to eat."

"I... I failed." She mumbled just above a whisper as he started to make his way upstairs, making him stop. He wasnt even sure if he heard right, but didn't want to ask again.

"What do you mean?"

"I completely failed as a wife and woman and now I failed at my job too." She went on with a shaking voice and then drinking from her almost empty glass.

"Bey you didn't fail as a woman and wife. Why you think that you failed at your job?" He asked sitting next to her.

"My boss said that it would be the best if I stay home for another month."

"What happened?"

"I was in court with a client today. I felt good about it. I felt ready. And then that baby started crying and I didn't feel anything anymore. I couldn't talk, I couldn't think. It was a disaster." She hung her head, putting the glass to her mouth again.

"I'm sorry Bey." He pulled her closer. For a second he hesitated, not sure if she would accept the contact or reject him again, but this time she placed her head on his shoulder and started crying.